Chapter Seventeen - Lonely Boy

Well I’m so above you
And it’s plain to see
But I came to love you anyway
So you pulled my heart out
And I don’t mind bleeding
Any old time you keep me waiting
Waiting, waiting ~ Lonely Boy - The Black Keys

I was standing on front of my locker, trying to hurry up without using my inhuman speed. I was extremely late for class. Can't believe I had to walk all the way from class back to my locker, all the way on the other wing. The sadist teacher made me do it. 

And on top of all, Ashley had made me wear HEELS. Yes, heels. I only did it because I lost a bet. About what nail polish suited better to a star from a tv show. No kidding. How was I to know that, anyway? It was unfair, I tell you.

I banged my locker shut and turned around quickly, not wanting to be late to the class. 

And my brown contact lensed eyes came in eye contact with Jace's silver irises. My hand brushed his chest, by accident. 

How did I not sense him? He was so close to me. How did I not?

His mouth formed a smirk, but there was something different in it. Something was off.

'Allie. How are you?' My back touched the lockers. I almost stuttered. 'Jace! I'm fine, How are you?'

His smirk didn't leave and he put one of his hands next to my head onto the locker and leaned closer. I gasped slightly. What was he doing?

'What are you doing out of class so late?' he asked and somehow, my senses returned. I crossed my arms over my chest. 'I should be asking you the same question. Where were you these days? Missing for a whole week! Ashley was close to filing a complaint to the cops.'

His face turned emotionless. 'Tell her to keep her nose to herself. It's not safe for... people to be so... interested  in me.' 

I frowned. What was wrong with him? Usually, he was so nice and filled with... emotion.

'She can't help it. She likes you.' I decided I wasn't giving away a big secret by telling him Ashley liked him. It was pretty obvious after all.

He removed his hand and turned to leave. I almost called after him for a reply, when he said, over his shoulder, walking away 'I never told her to care, did I? You, more than anyone, should know that I won't be the best for her.' 

With a last smirk over his shoulder he walked over to some place. I was left, frozen in my place.

What did he mean by that?

"You, more than anyone, should know that I won't be the best for her."

I shook my head, and walked to the class, a forgotten assignment in my hand, and a frown on my face.

I knew what was missing from Jace's face. But it wasn't nice, like before. It was evil.

~*~

'What took you so long?' Ashley hissed. I shrugged and looked at my feet 'These heels are killer.'

She exhaled, annoyed. And hell broke loose when she inhaled. And the bell rang too.

She literally snatched my hand and pulled me out of my chair, and we were out the door before anyone even got up. Once outside...

'I smell Jace on you!' she almost yelled and I had to stamp her foot from screaming. But since I had those heels...

'Oww! That hurt!' I shushed her and pulled her into the nearest bathroom. 

'Did you see Jace, Jess? Tell me!' 

'My name's Allie, not Jess, and yes, I did see Jace. He's returned.' Unfortunately.

'Why didn't you tell me? How could you?'

'Jeez! I just found out, okay? I saw him and he said hi. That's all.'

'Did he mention me? He talked about me, didn't he?' Is she serious? 

'Uh, yeah. Um, he did.' Technically, that's true. He did say he wasn't good for Ashley which is talking about her. In a way. Yeah. Now I have to work on perfecting the way I lie. No way will anyone believe me when I say "uh.. and um..." Nuh uh.

She sighed and stared at the mirror for about 30 seconds, after which I left the bathroom. 

As I walked towards my next class, I tried to figure out the mystery of Jace.

There must be something wrong. Something must have happened that changed his attitude completely. Hopefully, it doesn't stay that way.

With that, I entered the art room.

Sorry for the short chapters! But I'm sneaking on my laptop to write them anyway.

I wanna write bigger chapters but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Wish me luck for the exams!