The Reject: Why

The Reject: Chapter One

Why do you do this to me?
Why do you do this so easily?
You make it hard to smile because
You make it hard to breathe
Why do you do this to me? ~
Why - Secondhand Serenade

I woke up hearing a fight outside. I walked to my window with my bones making that cracking sound. Our soon-to-be Alpha Noah and our soon-to-be Beta Jaden were fighting in wolf form. They were just kidding around, nothing serious. I looked out in the sky and dreaded today.

Today was our last day of school. Yes, I hate the last day of school because that would mean more work for me. I'm gonna have to clean bathrooms, cook food, do homework and many other things for the pack.

Our pack is a huge one. We have 320 wolves and three pack houses. The Teenagers live in this pack house. The adults in the other one with their younger ones and the other one, well I don't know why that one is there. It's the biggest one, too. It can hold 600 wolves, no kidding.

The teenagers bully me because I haven't shifted yet. Yes, what a nice reason to bully someone. When they already have the stress of not shifting, add more stress by making them do your dirty work. My pack is amazing. No one knows this but I'm planning on becoming a rogue.

The adults can't help me much even if they take me to live with them. The bullying will continue or worsen in school. My bags, or bag is already packed. Today's our Alpha's eighteenth birthday and he finds his mate today.

I'm gonna go before 8 PM, when the Mate Finding ceremony is gonna take place. I'm not gonna go there and since everyone is gonna be there, it's easier for me to get out of here. No one will even think that I was ever gonna leave them. I'm gonna miss Mama Ebony though.

She's the only one who kept me sane. She's around sixty but has the heart of a toddler. I love her to death but I couldn't tell her that I'm being bullied. It'll break her if she finds out what I have to go through and I can't do that to her. So, she doesn't know that I'm running away. I've written a note especially for her with many paintings and sketches attached to it. I love to draw and she knows it. She's always asking me to make some for her to decorate her house so I did.

I felt something on the back of my hand and saw that it was wet. I sniffed. I'm crying again.

"Get a hold of yourself! You're gonna be free today. Don't cry in the morning! Please?" My wolf begged me.

I wiped my tears and went to freshen up after a last glance out my window.

In School

I walked to my locker while many shoved me. Finally reaching it I opened it and removed my assignment for English along with three other copies of it for the players in the basketball team. Someone shoved me and yelled in my ear "Where's my homework, freak?" I winced and gave it to Sid. He grinned at me before pushing me so I fell on my butt.

"That's a nice way to say thanks." I said under my breath.

"What's that?" He said while looking at the papers.

I pretended to be confused. "What's what?" I whispered. I'm not allowed to talk loudly. It's crazy, I know.

He looked at me before muttering "Nothing."

I got up and dusted my pants before grabbing my bag and walking to English. Thank God that it's the soon to be Alpha's birthday, no one is paying much attention to me. I walked into class and went to the front seat. Everyone usually sits at the back because well, they can probably talk back there. Our teacher's a human so she can't hear them if they talk low enough.