Chapter Three: Runaway

She wants to be free, like a runaway, ay ay ay
Trying to believe, gonna find a way, ay ay ay ay
We got just one life, tonight we're running all the lights
Trying to break free, like a runaway ay ay ay ay ay
 ~ Runaway – Mat Kearney

Jessie’s POV

I groaned as I felt a sharp pain in my head.

“She’s waking up!” someone whispered.

“Why did you push her so hard?” someone else whispered.

“I didn’t! She should have sensed me! It’s not like she’s a baby werewolf who hasn’t shifted!”

“She should have healed by now!”

“What if she’s not a werewolf? The scent could be of her mate!”

“You’re right. We didn’t think of that” A female whispered.

 I opened my eyes. I tried, anyway.

“I… haven’t.” I mumbled as another sharp pain went up my head and I winced.

“Sh. You haven’t what, sweetie?” A soothing female voice said. I tried to move my head to look at her but couldn’t as my head was hurting bad.

“It’s okay. Don’t move.” She said and I stopped, relieved that I didn’t have to struggle.

“I haven’t shifted.” I whispered, trying to sound stronger.

“You haven’t? How’s that possible?” someone else said.

“I… I don’t know.” I seriously hated whispering. It reminded me of my older pack where I was forced to whisper while talking.

Someone gasped. I heard someone say a soft “What?” it was just a bit far.

“She could be a… a…”

Then came another gasp.

“It… it could be!” the voice became a little louder as if the person had come closer to me.

“A- Are you the princess?” I would have laughed if it weren’t for the pain in my head.

“What? No.” I tried to speak a little louder than a silly whisper.

“Then how’s it possible?” The voice became soft again. That’s all I heard before everything blacked out again.

This time when I woke up, there were no whispers and not much pain either.

I opened my eyes slowly and they watered because of the bright light coming from the window. I tried to sit up. It was just a bit painful. Nothing I couldn’t handle. I’ve had much more pain when I was pushed around the hallways. Especially by the high rankers’ kids. They thought that they were all that so they should show more of their strength. And when Noah and Jaden pushed, ugh!

“Sleeping Beauty’s finally awake.” I heard a male voice say behind me. I jumped and turned around to find a dark haired boy smirking at me. He was kinda handsome.

“What?” My voice came out croaky so I cleared my throat and repeated.

“You were out for about six hours.” He replied coming closer.

“Really? I wonder why?” I said with sarcasm. I don’t know who pushed me but I’m guessing it was him because of the guilt written in his eyes.

“Alright. I didn’t know you hadn’t shifted.” he was embarrassed now. “I uh.. um I’m sor-ry.” It was obviously hard for him to apologize.