twenty-seven: right here in the old therebefore

Sometime later, your friends make good on their word, and they bring you Petra.

The truck that Farlan's driving hasn't even pulled to a complete stop yet when Petra throws herself out of the passenger seat, falling to the ground, but she pulls herself up immediately. Your security system had alerted you that they were here, so you're right outside the front door, quick to close the distance.

Petra tackles you with a massive hug that takes you straight to the ground. You nearly get the wind knocked out of you when your back hits the ground, but you're too relieved to care.

"You idiot," Petra says into your shoulder, and she pulls herself off of you. You push yourself to your feet, and as soon as you do, Petra grabs your shoulders. "Never again! Never do that again!"

"This wasn't my idea," you tell her, grinning, "but yeah, never again."

"You idiot!" Petra stresses again, but she lunges in to hug you again. You grab onto her again, clinging tightly, just happy to have her in your arms once again. She's crying, you know she is, but you've had a while to mentally prepare yourself for this and you're holding yourself together.

The two of you hold each other and sway for a bit until you murmur, "I have tea and we've got a really cool porch swing."

Petra sniffles. "Yeah. That sounds good."

"Okay, okay," you laugh. "Now ease up, I broke a few ribs."

She gasps, pulling back. "Did you actually?"

"No idea. Tea?"

"Tea," Petra agrees, smacking your arm. "Yes, please, tea."

.

Levi really doesn't get how girls talk so much.

Farlan brought in boxes full of things: food, tools, equipment, all things for the cabin that he and you would need. Levi's spent the last hour or so helping him unpack things, install things, and return empty boxes to the truck they drove up here in- and you and Petra are still out on the porch, giggling and chatting nonstop.

"How do they do it?" Farlan asks, shaking his head. Levi looks up; Farlan too has been looking through the window at you and Petra. "Talking for hours."

So he's been reading his mind. Levi's lips twitch, and his eyes go back to you. "No idea."

"Does she talk your ear off?" His friend grins. "Petra talked the whole way here. She's great, but I think I went deaf in one ear."

"You probably did. It feels like I have to yell to get your attention."

"You're just quiet."

"Or you're just deaf."

Farlan rolls his eyes, leaning back against the counter. Levi takes that as a sign that they're done working for now, and he crosses his arms as he leans back.

Last week's conversation had ended... abruptly. You'd been overwhelmed and confused, and Levi can't blame you for that, but he's got some questions and Farlan seems like the best one to answer them- since neither Petra, Hange, or Moblit (the only three that have visited so far) were there when it happened. 

He focuses on the tail end of last week's conversation. "So the president's dead," Levi says.

Farlan nods. "Yep."

"She killed him."

"Yeah. She did."

"How?"

He doesn't answer right away. Levi eventually looks to him, trying to make eye contact, but his friend is avoiding his gaze. So he's betting Rod's death didn't follow the original plan of execution by arrow.