Chapter 3.

"Wait.."
≿━━━━༺☠━━━━
Harley Finley POV

My gut twisted at the sight in front of me. There had to be over a hundred people gathered around, all wearing black tux's or dresses. Their heads bowed in a respectful manner to the man being lowered into the ground. Cries and sobs could be heard from the back, where I stood hiding from everyone.

I couldn't face them. I didn't want to.

My big black sunglasses hid me from the crowd, just long enough for me to witness Jim, my father, being lowered six feet under. People spoke softly, talking about wonderful memories with him and how Jim was such a giving person.

I held back my protesting remarks with a middle finger raised in my pocket. But even that didn't stop the tears.

Sure, we hadn't talked in five years before Jim's sudden death. And right before I left he told me how much he disliked his own daughter. I wished for years he would have changed. That I would have been given the chance to see Jim in the same light as everyone else.

Especially my brother, Elijah, who stood at the front of the crowd with tears staining his cheeks.

Elijah was my half brother, five years older and the most caring soul towards me in my upbringing. He was my fatherly figure through school and hardships and the only one to keep in contact with me when I left to build my own life.

Even if it was only through a few texts every other year, at least he tried.

It hurt to see him crumbling in front of so many people. Even if he saw them as friends and family, they were strangers to me. And I refuse to let them see me cry over a man who never loved me.

I listened to everyone say their peace. My eyes trained to the ground with my hands stuffed in my oversized black coat pockets.

And once Jim's casket was buried, I tried to leave. I really fucking did. But seeing Elijah cry was enough to get me to stay for just a few more moments.

I waited in the line of people that were paying him respects, saying they're sorry for his loss and making promises of helping in anyway. Then it was my turn.

My heart raced as I approached my brother. He was the one who told me of Jim's passing, but I wasn't sure how he'd take me actually being here.

"Elijah." I could barely say. It was a name I hadn't verbally said in years.

His big brown eyes moved upwards until he was looking at me. His face softened and contorted into another weep as he took in my appearance before he pulled me into his embrace.

"Harley." He whimpered. "I'm glad you came."

I solemnly nodded, squeezing him back. "It'll be okay." I ran my fingers through his thick long hair like I had always done when I was younger.

"Are you staying for a little?"

"No." I sighed, pulling away from him.

"Just for an hour." Elijah silently begged. "It's been years since I've seen you. Let's catch up and talk for an hour. That's all I'm asking."