Chapter 29

"Give me the fucking cookie."

꧁࿈༻༺☠༻༺࿈꧂

Harley Finley

The guys in the house had officially lost their minds. Colten had let me pack my bag in peace, barely sparing me a glance as he ran around the house packing trash bags with weird essentials. Toilet paper and sheets were not something people normally bring when in a rush somewhere. But once Colten's precious nickname was stripped of his rights, he seemed mute. Not even speaking to Elijah who was in a panic himself.

Except he wasn't as collected as Colten. No, no. He was the Tasmanian devil spiraling from room to room, leaving nothing but a trail of mass destruction in its place.

It was his own mattress. I could hear the first stab of a knife into the fabric followed by the rip of it being gutted before his swears clouded the rest.

Next was the bed that still didn't feel like my own. Silently, I stared while he tore the sheets, Colten and I just fucked on, off. There was no second thought when he mangled it to shreds. Foam pieces were cut out and scattered onto the floor at my feet. Memories filled my eyes and replaced my brother with Jim. They looked and acted the same in this exact moment. Ripping my childhood bed to pieces in hopes to find something that I never knew laid beneath me while I slept. Whether it be packed down bags of drugs or bands of money I thought were just a spring poking my back - there was always something when mattresses were aired out for their contents.

My bag wasn't even fully packed before I decided to leave the room of a pathetic man that no longer resembled my brother.

Chloe sat at the kitchen table. Shear sadness drained from her emotional, blank eyes while she rubbed her inflated stomach. The twins had been quiet today - something she always worried about but today didn't entail a wellness check.

The moment of sympathy was momentary before I chucked my swollen bag to the floor with a thud loud enough to gain her attention. "New to this?" I groaned before perching on the counter with a wine bottle in my hand. Red, white.. It didn't matter.

Not when my worst fear of the man I've come to care for was coming true.

"They're not looking for drugs." Chloe murmured with disappointment towards me.

"I know when people are trying to clean house, Chloe." I snapped even if I didn't mean to. "Elijah and Colten are in trouble with someone big. Just like Drew warned me."

Elijah could hear us in the other room. I knew just by the way it turned silent instead of him stabbing and ripping apart the furniture Chloe thought she'd raise her children in. I'm sure it ran through their minds for a moment. No longer would their son be playing with his toy trucks while Elijah watched a soccer game with Chloe and their daughter were on his lap.

Her world was crumbling and all I could think to do was chug wine so I couldn't feel the weight of my own.

"Now, Colten is going to act like I don't deserve an answer while I follow him around to whatever 'safe house' they have planned." I mumbled, still loud enough for whoever to listen, while I stared at her mascara stained bags under her eyes, "I'm not doing it unless you need me there."