Chapter 30

"Oh, Peter!"

꧁࿈༻༺☠༻༺࿈꧂

Colten Gunn

Harley had taken the snacks hostage again. The little bag of hard chocolate chip cookies was all she allowed me out of the whole plastic bag.

I couldn't be upset by it, no matter how much my stomach grumbled at the thought of a Hershey's chocolate bar. The only thing that made my stomach stop was when it decided to turn to a knotted mess whenever she'd huff and sigh. She was deep within her mind of non stop thoughts she also wouldn't share with me.

There had to be hope but I couldn't be sure.

"Did I make the wrong choice, Harley?" I asked, using her government name. That alone killed me inside.

She glanced away from the dead stopped traffic - which I guess is normal here - and gave me a sympathetic look. With no words she shook her head just enough for me to see a small glimmer of a tear in the corner of her right eye.

"A ten minute drive took two fucking hours. Unbelievable." Elijah groaned, stretching out his legs while he carried half of Chloe's bags while I had the other half.

Harley insisted on taking her own even against my own quick protest.

"I need to put my feet up." Chloe sighed quietly, holding her belly with both hands.

Harley didn't say much while she punched in a few numbers to the apartment building and guided our way through a bustling lobby. I wasn't sure what I expected when she had said she lived in New York City but nothing could have prepared me much for it all.

The hustle and bustle of the city life was alive and running rampant even at only two in the afternoon. The sidewalks were filled with people wearing anything from top end streetwear that they probably spent a pretty penny on to those walking their dogs still in pajamas from the night before. None of them moved for us, even with our hands full of suitcases and bags.

Harley had no cares. She would play chicken with half of them. Walking forward with her head held high. She'd silently pick those she would scoot over for - mostly children and women but men? It took all of me not to say something to the twenty that budded into her shoulder.

But now, in her lobby, I was reminded of my angel that I had picked up at the bar. The confidence radiated off of her as she glided through everyone with not a care in the world.

'Seventh Floor.' The elevator brought me back watching her.

Even with a hardened exterior she was beautiful.

"Don't mind the small space. Most apartments over here aren't the biggest." She sighed while jingling her keys to find the one for her room - 710. "But I'm sure we could make it work."