Chapter 10

Retrogress

Last night was almost a blur to me, or maybe it's the two glasses of alcohol that was enough to drunken a lightweight

We left the party shortly after Arlo finished up some more business talk. He noticed my tipsiness coming out to play and realized it was best to call it a night.

He escorted me to his car and held me stable as I waddled down the stairway outside. Not releasing his grasp on my waist until we were in his pre-warmed car. He assisted me on putting my seatbelt and made sure I was comfortable before starting the car.

"I'm not even drunk, Arlo." I tell him as I lay my head on the headrest behind me. He won't stop glancing over at me every five minutes with a worried expression on his face as he drives us back to my apartment. His eyebrows are indented and his lips are slightly pouted.

He reaches his free hand over and places it under my chin firmly, readjusting my head that I didn't realize was tilting over--and was about a few seconds away from clashing into the passenger side window.

The graze of his warm hand on my skin, sent electric chills down my whole body. The feel of his touch
made my heart skip a beat even though all he meant to do was readjust me, I couldn't help but get a fluttering sensation in my stomach.

I look at him shyly after the small interaction, admiring his beautiful side profile from my side of the car. His tall nose with his pretty freckle on it and plump rose tinted lips with his mole underneath it. His features were unique and his details where placed so perfectly on his face it felt like he was a painting come to life.

He glances over at me with his dark brown eyes when he senses my stare. "Sorry, did I make you uncomfortable?" He asks me with concern.

"No, thank you for helping." I tell him, letting him know I appreciate his attention to detail. His attention to me that would've went unnoticed by any other soul, any other person.

I can see him breathe a small breath of relief at my apparent comfort with him. He turns his gaze back onto the road, but I still can't help but stare. It's like my eyes are glued onto him, stuck watching his beauty like if he were a centerpiece at a museum that everyone crowds around and can't help but do amused gasps of pleasure when they take in the delicacy in front of them.

...

Arlo parked on the street in front of the entrance to the lobby of my apartment. Turning the car engine off he looks over at me, I'm half asleep as it's now two AM. Exhaustion and tipsiness definitely do not mix well together. I reach over and fidget with the seatbelt before actually getting it off, grabbing my coat and purse.

"Let me help." Arlo insists as he slings my purse over his own shoulder, and helps me slide into my coat before exiting the car. I try to reach for the car door, but he beats me to it when he goes outside and rounds the car in what seems like a few seconds.