Chapter 23

Alone Together.

This chapter mentions Eating Disorders

Arlo helps me into his car and makes sure i'm comfortable and buckled up before he rounds the car to the drivers side. He slides into the seat and shuts the door with a bang, closing out the cold air that New York has been bringing upon us these last few September days.

As Arlo puts the car in reverse and backs out of the parking spot in the parking garage, my mind reverts back to his random interruption earlier. He had abruptly left earlier for an appointment and I wondered what that was all about. If he got to lurk and be all in my business then I get the chance to do so as well. An eye for an eye, I guess.

For now the ride is silent as we're both embracing the moment and the music playing from the aux. When suddenly I get a little guilty sting in my heart as I remember about Aaron. I grab my phone from my purse and open it to my messages. I send a quick message to Aaron to tell him I wouldn't be able to make it, it might be late now for this text but at least its the thought that counts.. right?

Arlo parks a block away from the Times Square center, he turns off the car and exits swiftly before he's at the passenger side. He opens the door and helps me out, keeping me steady on my feet as he shuts the door behind me. I can hear the chatter from all the lively people from here and it makes me super excited.

Arlo keeps me close by his side as we walk down the sidewalk towards the center of Times Square. Immediately all the lights and scenery takes my attention quickly. i've been here plenty of times of course in the past but it's been a while since i've been here. I always loved coming down here to just enjoy the New York atmosphere among other citizens who come here to shop, entertain, or tour.

As we get surrounded by the dozen upon dozens of people, Arlo's arm wraps around my body, keeping me by his side and under his watch at all times.

As we stroll by he stops abruptly, pulling me to a sudden halt. I look at him with confusion displayed on my face at his suddenness. A smile is curling on his lips as he's looking off into the distance, my eyebrow raises in curiosity. "What?" I question and he shifts his eyes onto me. He points with his chin to what's ahead of him, "Look," He says simply with his dark eyes twinkling with such brightness you almost can't recall that his eyes ever hold the darkness they do. I turn my head, following his gaze. That's when I see what he's smiling at, its a advertisement thats plastered on top of a random store. The advertisement is huge and captivating to the eye, I don't know how I almost missed it that easily when it's completely eye catching.

It's me. It's pictures of my first and recent photoshoot, with my name bold enough for everyone to see. Valentina Morgan, first and only SaintLingerie model. My eyes widen as I see the big advertisement in front of my very eyes, i'm staring directly at photos of myself but it still feels so surreal. It feels like that girl in those photos aren't me but someone else, someone unrecognizable. Because for the first time i'm smiling at myself, the first time where i'm genuinely proud of myself. For the first time i'm viewing myself as someone who's not weak and unlovable, someone who's not so drowned in darkness that the light almost seems to good to be true.