Signs of a Witch

Chapter Three

Signs of a Witch

Land of Giants

Naruto

February 4, 2000

Earth rich musk teased his nose, a distinct smell easily recognizable as the signature, underlying scent of Giants, trolls, goblins and other earthen creatures. A sign they were nearing the deep sunken valley where Giants had made their homes for generations.

Kyodaina, the official capital of the Land of Giants, held the largest concentrated population of soil-origin Naturals. Of all the places he'd ever traveled, Naruto enjoyed the poignant fragrance of pure nature that Kyodaina exuded for miles on end. The city itself wasn't bad, a little behind Konoha in terms of technological advances, a bit rough in some parts considering it was home to Naturals that, historically speaking, weren't exactly friends with each other, but it's true selling point for him was it's elaborate feasts. Massive amounts of succulent meat, buffets that left him wishing he had an extra stomach to use when his own bloated belly gave out.

Had they been here under different circumstances, Naruto would have already been salivating.

"We're not far from the city, once we reach the river, let's take a break and walk the rest of the way," Sakura remarked as she flew above the treetops, her words spoken not shouted, yet, in his transformed state, Naruto heard the words as though spoken directly in his furred ears, "we don't know where the witch is, but I do remember Iruka-sensei reading a passage in our history books that mentioned that a lot witches tend to favor forests and caves. Makes it easier for them hide and perform their rituals in secret. If we slow down, and all make our way on foot, we might make contact with it before we reach the city."

Grunted a rumbling affirmative, Naruto was cranked down to three tails, reducing his mass to a form quick enough to blaze through miles of terrain and keep up with his winged teammates, but small enough to burn chakra efficiently. His reserves were without equal, however, they were hunting a witch, every little bit counted.

Last thing he needed was to be in combat while tapped.

Fighting on low chakra levels was dangerous, not just for him but those around him, including his teammates. When he was near empty, when he scraped the bottom of his chakra pool, it kick started his 'gift' from the very witches that had left him the last of his kind.

He'd lose himself to something dark that festered below his own power.

Some unknown force that turned him into something horrific.

A monster.

Shaking his head to clear it, Naruto blew frustrated smoke through his snout and slowed his high-speed sprint to a leisurely trot to keep with the reduced pace of his teammates. From Konoha to the Land of Giants, the trip at a walk or even a run took nearly a week; charging across grassy plains like a carmine blur sheared their travel time to a messily two days. Had their mission not been so serious, Naruto would have thoroughly enjoyed this blood pumping race across the country.

His inner fox was howling satisfaction, but his thoughts were a bit too heavy to fully appreciate the freedom.

He took a glance at his flying teammates, judging their lazy coasting glide and adjusted his speed a little more. He pulled chakra from one of his tails, slowing his chakra output, and slimming his gigantic size enough that his russet colored ears fell below the towering treetop of the forest for the first time in hours.