Meet the Authors: M. A. Hartman

Meet Melissa!

Writer's Relay:
Dear Melissa, we are super excited to have you participating in this unique collaboration with your fellow writers. Let's take this opportunity to know more about you, your writing journey, and your thoughts on Wattpad and the Writer's Relay event.

So, let's start with some warm up...

What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad, and what do you like most about the platform?

Melissa:
Well, for as long as I can remember, my dream has been to be a published author. I heard about Wattpad years ago, but never took the plunge until last year. I just felt that I had to take the leap and try it out. I really love all the contests, which allowed me to craft amazing stories and bring to life characters I would not have otherwise created.

WR:
Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

Melissa:
I daydream. A lot. I'm constantly revising and editing scenes in my head long before I write them down.

WR:
Which author has influenced your writing the most?

Melissa:
There are two, actually: Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffrey. Their novels about Valdemar and Pern were staples of my teen years, fueled my imagination, and I want to be like them someday.

WR:
Where, would you say, do you stand in your writing journey?

Melissa:
Hopefully on the cusp of something greater.

WR:
Which of your own stories is closest to your heart?

Melissa:
"Fire Bound", which I have been writing (and editing) since 1996. I consider it my magnum opus and only now do I have the courage to share it with the world.

WR:
Share two Wattpad story recommendations. Include the usernames of the authors and why you enjoyed the stories.

Melissa:
Ah. Here's a little secret: I don't really read much on Wattpad. But I have to shout-out carolyn_hill and karacarreira, who were kind enough to give me the encouragement I needed to continue my Wattpad journey.

WR:
There is one question that many authors may have asked themselves, you included... But could there be one simple single answer? Let's hear from your thoughts...
What would be the perfect recipe for the next greatest novel of all time? One you would write or read...

Melissa:
I enjoy fantasy the most, so anything with a strong, female lead, a grand adventure, a dash of mythology, and a talking animal or two works for me.

WR:
Now that we know more about you, we are curious about your involvement in the Writer's Relay adventure.

What was your first thought when seeing the Writer's Relay call for participants? Did you apply straight away or did you take time to ponder on your possible involvement?

Melissa:
I waited for a few days, because ... procrastination.

WR:
What do you hope to gain from collaborating with other writers on this Writers Relay initiative?

Melissa:
Networking.

WR:
Now that you are well into this relay race, what do you think of your role in the collaboration?

Writing as a group is a bit like musicians performing in an orchestra. What is your instrument in this philharmonic? And what kind of symphony will come out?

Melissa:
I am the triangle: small, stuck in the back, and I chime in once in a while. As for what sort of symphony will come out ... I'm leaning towards more John Williams than Beethoven.