Meet the Team: elveloy

Writer's Relay:
Dear elveloy, you have been on the team side, the organisation of this event. Now that it is well into its publishing way, let's take this opportunity to know more about you, your writing journey, and your thoughts on Wattpad and the Writer's Relay event.

So, let's start with some warm up...

What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad, and what do you like most about the platform?

elveloy:
Way back in 2011, I took early retirement. While I was wondering what to do with all my spare time, somebody suggested now was the best time to write all those stories I never had time for when I was working, so... after a Google search for ''where can I post my stories for people to read?" I found Wattpad! There are lots of great things about the platform, the ability to see and respond to comments for one, plus the wonderful networks of other writers you can build up.

WR:
Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

elveloy:
The ability to write on a computer instead of on paper with a biro! So much easier to correct, copy, delete and rewrite!!

WR:
Which author has influenced your writing the most?

elveloy:
This is a tricky one! Going back to the beginning, my first story ever of any length was a Regency Romance - so perhaps I should say Georgette Heyer! Though, even earlier than that, the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis sparked a long term fascination with portals to other worlds - hence my ONC stories

WR:
Where, would you say, do you stand in your writing journey?

elveloy:
Hopefully in the middle! I've improved a lot since I started in 2011, but there is still a long way to go, especially with stories longer than 20K words!

WR:
Which of your own stories is closest to your heart?

elveloy:
Impossible to answer - they each have their own sweet place in my writing journey :)

WR:
Share two Wattpad story recommendations. Include the usernames of the authors and why you enjoyed the stories.

elveloy:
Another hard one! For the purposes of this interview I'll pick 2 from last year's ONC - Vengeful Creations by MarCafeWrites such an imaginative read, and BioSynth by MonicaBGuerra - a LGBT / SciFi story after my own heart.

WR:
There is one question that many authors may have asked themselves, you included... But could there be one simple single answer? Let's hear from your thoughts...

What would be the perfect recipe for the next greatest novel of all time? One you would write or read.

elveloy:
If only I knew!

WR:
Now that we know more about you, we are curious about your involvement in the Writer's Relay adventure.

What was your first thought when seeing the Writer's Relay call for participants? Did you apply straight away or did you take time to ponder on your possible involvement?

elveloy:
I would have loved to be one of the writers in this project, but the timing was just wrong for me. However, I have been able to enjoy the process from the sidelines and help out with editing and various admin tasks

WR:
What do you hope this initiative will bring to the Wattpad community and the authors who participated as well as for future similar events?

elveloy:
I hope it will be an enjoyable experience, for both the writers participating and the readers, as well as an opportunity to meet and interact with interesting people on the platform.

WR:
Now that you are well into this relay race, what do you think of your role in the collaboration?

Writing as a group is a bit like musicians performing in an orchestra. And who says orchestra, says musicians and conductor... but also lots of people working in the background. What is your role in this philharmonic? And what kind of symphony will come out?

elveloy:
Not sure that I see myself as a conductor... more like Quasimodo lurking in the bell tower... As for the symphony, I'm hoping for something along the lines of The Ride of the Valkyries - short, full of energy and very memorable!