Meet the Authors: David Gibbs

Writer's Relay:
Dear David, we are super excited to have you participating in this unique collaboration with your fellow writers. Your chapter has been posted today and we enjoyed it very much!

Let's take this opportunity to know more about you, your writing journey, and your thoughts on Wattpad and the Writer's Relay event.

So, let's start with some warm up...

What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad, and what do you like most about the platform?

David:
I started on wattpad just looking for short stories to read. I began writing when I was struggling with the mountain of content on the site. It was hard to find what I was looking for so I started writing it instead. I hadn't really written anything since highschool, so I was pretty bad.

WR:
Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

David:
Reading. Definitely reading other people's works. The more I read the more I want to write and the easier I find it. That and entering smackdowns.

WR:
Which author has influenced your writing the most?

David:
Stephen King definitely. I spent much of my youth reading every King book I could get my hands on. He has a way of building characters and stories that is detailed and engaging.

WR:
Where, would you say, do you stand in your writing journey?

David:
I'm better than I was, but probably not as good as I could be. Mostly I dabble. I'm happy just getting some of my ideas down in a semi legible format. Hopefully I can get better at grammar. I'm not too fussed as long as people can read it and it flows. I do plan to one day go back over some of my earlier works and apply myself a little better.

WR:
Which of your own stories is closest to your heart?

David:
I don't have a favourite story of my own. I think I enjoy them all in their own different way.

WR:
Share two Wattpad story recommendations. Include the usernames of the authors and why you enjoyed the stories.

David:
I read almost exclusively short stories. Two that really stand out are RJGlynn's - Final Facet from her compilation Ripples in Space Time.

And L V Lloyd's - Star Clash. It can be found on her VeraLoy profile.

Both stories are excellent examples of short, not meaning light on content.

WR:
There is one question that many authors may have asked themselves, you included... But could there be one simple single answer? Let's hear from your thoughts...
What would be the perfect recipe for the next greatest novel of all time? One you would write or read.

David:
I would love to see an epic horror universe. Something similar to what we see in Fantasy or Scifi. Something with so much world building it spawns a whole universe of material.

WR:
Now that we know more about you, we are curious about your involvement in the Writer's Relay adventure.

What was your first thought when seeing the Writer's Relay call for participants? Did you apply straight away or did you take time to ponder on your possible involvement?

David:
My first thought was do I really want to? And I threw my hat in quite late.

WR:
What do you hope to gain from collaborating with other writers on this Writers Relay initiative?

David:
I struggle with writing longer content. I'm enjoying watching the process and seeing how others write. I'm looking forward to the whole project coming together. I'm really enjoying the editing process. It's different to have other people read my work and point out different things. I'm not used to that at all. That different perspective is really helpful and eye opening. Shout out to all the people helping edit. Champions.

WR:
Now that you are well into this relay race, what do you think of your role in the collaboration?

Writing as a group is a bit like musicians performing in an orchestra. What is your instrument in this philharmonic? And what kind of symphony will come out?

David:
Love music, have minimal talent for it. I'm probably the percussionist who occasionally taps or raps some drum or chime. Probably the triangle. Or a cowbell. Lol. As for the song we are playing, I imagine it's hopefully a little like Bohemian Rhapsody. Moves up and down, changes frequently but is never not good.