Meet the Authors: Elisabeth Long

Writer's Relay:
Dear Lisa, we are super excited to have you participating in this unique collaboration with your fellow writers. Let's take this opportunity to know more about you, your writing journey, and your thoughts on Wattpad and the Writer's Relay event.

So, let's start with some warm up...

What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad, and what do you like most about the platform?

Lisa:
​I'd never heard of the platform before the day I went searching for information about​ a certain fantasy series I'd been enjoying and happened upon forums where people discussed fanfiction stories that had been written based on it. I followed recommendations to Wattpad and discovered the rich selection of stories there.

The fact that stories were being written by amateur writers and could be read by the public at large and commented upon really impressed me. Creative writing was always a whimsical pursuit of mine ​yet I'd never ventured to share anything I'd written with anyone before. Wattpad presented an opportunity to "publish" in relative anonymity with the possibility of getting international reader feedback and comments in real time. It's the latter that has been what I enjoy most.

WR:
Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

Lisa:
Uh, process? Ha-ha-ha.

Ok, not sure if this qualifies but I always, always, ALWAYS jot down any writing idea that pops into my head immediately, at any given time of day or night. I keep a pocket-sized notebook and a pen on me when I'm out just for this purpose --yes, I'm old-school. I use the note app on my phone if it's the middle of the night. If I happen to be behind the wheel (some great ideas have come to me while stopped at red lights!) I will pull over the first chance I get to record it.

If I write it down, it sticks in my head. If I don't, chances are it'll vanish in an ether of brain fog never to be recalled again.

WR:
Which author has influenced your writing the most?

Lisa:
I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman's fantasy novels. Among my favourites are "The Graveyard Book", "The Ocean at the End of the Lane", "Stardust", and "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" (written in collaboration with Terry Pratchett). How Gaiman manages to translate his magical imagination into words is amazing to me. I love his word play and humour in particular. Wit in fantasy ​is something I love.

WR:
Where, would you say, do you stand in your writing journey?

Lisa:
Forever looking ahead... There's no end to the journey in my opinion. I'll always have something to learn and improve on which is what keeps me motivated to continue.

WR:
Which of your own stories is closest to your heart?

Lisa:
​Of the ones currently on my profile, I'd have to say my novella "Midnight Calling". I ignored the "rules", let my imagination go, and allowed the characters to dictate the tale. The resultant blend of fantasy, paranormal, gothic suspense, and sheer whimsy was a fun ride for me as the writer. I'm always complimented whenever a reader comments they found the story original.

WR:
Share two Wattpad story recommendations. Include the usernames of the authors and why you enjoyed the stories.

Lisa:

"What They Wrought" by dtaylorbooks_

​A hidden treasure of a tale. Think "The Crucible" meets "Pirates of the Caribbean". It's a novella that needs to become a full-length novel (followed by a movie). Rich characters, phenomenal plot, an adventure worth reading.​ Highly recommend!

"Thistle in the Sky" by  SmokeAndOranges

A terrific, suspenseful fantasy tale from start to finish. Set in a sci-fi world of floating seas in the form of water columns and sky pools where airships travel dangerously along the frontier of a flat world. The main lead is a scorned female telepath who must fight to protect herself and her twin brother when catastrophe strikes and their airship becomes embroiled in rebellion and mutiny.

WR:
There is one question that many authors may have asked themselves, you included... But could there be one simple single answer? Let's hear from your thoughts...
What would be the perfect recipe for the next greatest novel of all time? One you would write or read

Lisa:
​Is there currently a greatest novel out there? ​I'd argue that there is no one perfect recipe for writing a story. Everyone has their likes and dislikes when it comes to taste, just as no two cooks prepare and season a dish in the exact same way. Variety is the spice of life as the saying goes. The same applies to stories in my opinion.

WR:
Now that we know more about you, we are curious about your involvement in the Writer's Relay adventure.

What was your first thought when seeing the Writer's Relay call for participants? Did you apply straight away or did you take time to ponder on your possible involvement?

Lisa:
What a cool idea!

​I took a little time to ponder applying because, although I'd written in a collaboration before, this would be the first time involving a large group. It didn't take me long to decide that I wanted the chance to experience being involved in a group story writing project working alongside a range of writers from all over the world.

WR:
What do you hope to gain from collaborating with other writers on this Writers Relay initiative?

Lisa:
New writing acquaintances, fresh perspectives, the satisfaction of being part of a team that accomplished such a challenging writing goal.​

WR:
Now that you are well into this relay race, what do you think of your role in the collaboration?

Writing as a group is a bit like musicians performing in an orchestra. What is your instrument in this philharmonic? And what kind of symphony will come out?

Lisa:
I can't play an instrument to save my life but ok, let's say the piano (I'd love to be able to tickle the ivories to any tune I wish).

What kind of symphony would come out? Hmm, for this collaboration I'm thinking something akin to Hans Zimmer's Da Vinci Code compositions mixed with John Williams' Raiders of the Lost Ark!