A Kiss

Hello my beautiful people ❤ Another chapter, another amazing fan art created by my incredible friend D! Here's the link to the full, uncensored drawing (sometimes I had to due to Wattpad's rules): https://www.deviantart.com/shineunderthemoon/art/OF-ROSES-AND-DAISIES-fic-on-Ao3-fanart-Chapter2-922904740 Please, always support artists like this

***

"You might not be the winner, but you were the greatest opponent I have ever had for sure!" Youngjo said before drinking from his own glass. "You were the first one whose blade ever touched my skin."

Hwanwoong's eyes followed the other prince's hand as he pointed at the bandage on his own arm.

"You know it wasn't my intention to leave just a scratch on you, Your Majesty." He bitterly commented, mentally cursing at his poor skills at holding his liquor when he realized he was dizzy. "You should have killed me."

Youngjo put his glass down and made a sign to him so the knight had to pour some more wine: "You're such a young and skillful knight, Ser Yeo. Why do you want to die so much by my hand?"

Hwanwoong couldn't help looking down, remembering he had said a similar thing during their battle. "You flatter me, Your Majesty, but I had a purpose and I should have paid the right price for failing."

"Don't you think there's so much more in our lives than winning a sword competition?" Youngjo mindlessly said out loud after emptying the content of his cup, finally starting to feel lightheaded. "We all need to make mistakes to learn so, please, don't let me hear about failure. You did better than any knight I have fought against during the previous tournaments, Ser Yeo." He looked around as he was speaking, spotting his father loudly bragging about his son's achievements with the three most beautiful ladies of the court. "Imagine not being able to be who you want to be because you are constantly reminded of the fact you have duties you can't escape from. There are so many more and much valuable things in life to let the fear of failing block us before we can even try."

Youngjo was talking about himself. He really didn't like when his father acted that way but he was his son, his only son, the only prince, and heir of the Kingdom of Roses. He had promised his dear mother he would have become the good boy she used to tell him he was, a fair and good king who would have changed a lot of things about his father's current way of ruling. That was the reason why Youngjo had been stuck in between doing what he wanted to and following his father's orders.

"What do you mean?" Hwanwoong asked, realizing that who has just spoken beside him wasn't the popular knight Ravn who everyone admired and loved but just a young prince like himself.

"I simply believe we can always learn something important from our mistakes. You see, even the most beautiful of roses has thorns. I think the same goes for every single person in this room: we all experience moments of joy and success as well as sadness and disappointment but-" He kindly asked for more wine to be poured in his glass before continuing. "I think what makes it really worth it is the travel towards the destination, not the destination itself." He took a sip from his cup. "Believe me when I say that I really enjoyed fighting against you, Ser Yeo. Why can't we just feel happy about finding a great opponent in front of us instead of focusing on who has won?"

Hwanwoong frowned. He couldn't believe those wise words were coming straight from the winner. "You... You enjoyed it?"

Youngjo rested his elbow on the table and he held his head on his hand, looking at the other closely: "Didn't you, Ser Yeo? I saw you smiling throughout the match so I figured you were as well..." He left his sentence hanging in the air and he took the chance to drink a bit more wine.