Chapter 19: Fighter

It had been 12 hours since I was able to stay in the room with Mark. He was currently still unconscious, but the doctors were able to stabilize him, and he should wake up at any time. He had been shot in the chest, just next to his heart. The doctors said he's very lucky to have made it. 

I wasn't sure how I was going to break the news to Mark. Sean was one of his best friends. Sean's bandmates had already stopped by. All of them were torn when they heard the news, however Tommy seemed to especially be grieving. All of us had to reassure him that this wasn't his fault. He kept saying how if he wouldn't have done what he did with Sean's ex-girlfriend, this wouldn't have happened. We all knew that wasn't true, and I think deep down Tommy knew that too. 

The bandmates all pitched in on notifying Sean's family and helping out with getting funeral arrangements together. They were all going to fly back to Ireland and Sean's body would be flown back as well, and the funeral would be in his hometown. I'm hoping that Mark and I can make it, but that will be arranged when the time comes. 

I hadn't slept the whole time I've been here. Mainly because I wanted to be awake when Mark woke up, so he wasn't too scared, but the uncomfortable hospital chair also didn't help. I occupied my time by watching TV and journaling my thoughts along with the events happening in case I needed to go to court. Everything was documented for me and the judge's convenience. 

As I was writing my feelings out in my notes app, I suddenly heard a low grunt. I looked up without hesitation and saw that Mark was finally awake. Tears started forming in my eyes and a goofy smile plastered my face. I immediately stood up and walked over to him slowly. His eyes adjusted as he tried to make out who was next to him. He didn't have his glasses with him, and the nurses took out his contacts while he was unconscious. 

"Hey, sleepyhead," I whispered as I leaned down and stroked his cheek. One of his hands reached up and gripped onto my arm lightly as he smiled in my direction. He tried leaning up towards me but immediately winced and lowered himself back down. "Take it easy, okay. Your chest needs time to heal," I told him. 

"I'm so glad you're okay," his voice was raspy and quiet. "Me? I was more worried about you," I said. He gave me that sweet smile of his again before a thought entered his mind. He dropped his smile, and it was replaced with an anxious look. "Is Sean okay?" I dreaded this question. A sigh escaped my lips as I got down on my knees. I took his hand in both of mine as I prepared what I was about to say. "Mark... he didn't make it," the words came and went. 

He was clearly stunned. His lip quivered, but no sound or words could be formed. He looked away from me and slowly started to sob. Seeing him like this made me cry with him. I reached up and hugged him; he grabbed onto me and sobbed into my shoulder. When I broke things off with Felix, I never imagined this is where I'd end up shortly after. I thought that it would make things better. Not take away one of my friends, but worse one of Mark's friends. In a way, I feel like this is my fault. Just like Tommy, I know in the back of my mind it isn't, but I can't help but feel somewhat guilty. 

"I'm so sorry, Mark," I cried. "I'll kill that son of a bitch," he leaned back, his face red and filled with tears. "He's in police custody." "He is?" "Yeah. I called 911 when you went downstairs and told them everything I heard. They arrested him." "Good. I hope he stays in prison for the rest of his life." "Me too." 

A knock was made at the door. We looked over to see a nurse walking in. "Hey, I'm glad to see you're awake! Is this a bad time?" she asked politely. "No, it's okay," Mark sniffled. "I'm very sorry about your friend, Mr. Fischbach." "Thank you." "Well, I'm here to do the annoying stuff: take your blood pressure, ask you questions, things like that." I moved out of the way and let the nurse do her thing. She pretty much asked him similar questions that I was asked and took his vitals to make sure everything was in order. "Okay, Mr. Fischbach, that's all I need from you. I'll go record this and we'll be back with you shortly on a release time. Ms. (Y/L/N), I do need to speak to you in a separate room for a moment."