𝔖𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫: ℌ𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔶 𝔦𝔫 𝔜𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔄𝔯𝔪𝔰

CW: Discussions of blood and addiction, mentions of smut, murder, and blood

CW: Discussions of blood and addiction, mentions of smut, murder, and blood. No actual smut in this chapter, gotta focus on moving the plot along, but I have something pretty kinky lined up for the next one. 😏

Please remember to vote and comment on the chapter!

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win."
- Stephen King

Vada is awoken suddenly, her eyes popping open as she gasps for air. The breath gets caught, the way a piece of clothing would snag on a door handle, and she begins to cough. The action forces her body into a sitting position.

She glances beside her, expecting to see James, but the bed is empty. There's a note on the pillow. She doesn't remember falling asleep with him last night.

It takes her a few seconds to figure out that she's in her room, under her blankets. They feel softer than usual, and she can smell the laundry detergent that she used four days ago when she last washed them.

The sun makes her head ache and as it pours through the window, she closes her eyes.

Her entire body feels like she got hit by a truck. As Vada reaches over to grab the note, she groans. Every time she moves her body, it aches. The pain is dull at first, but as she unfolds the note and uses more of her energy, it becomes more intense. She has to take a break and close her eyes before opening them and actually reading it.

Good Morning, my darling,

I left to help Steve clean up. Hope you don't sleep in too late.

Dinner tonight? My place? I make great steak.

Call me.

JBB

"Vada?" Sam's voice calls. "Are you up?"

"Yeah. Come in," she croaks.

She barely remembers the rest of the party other than dancing with James and talking to Kate - the very idea that she doesn't remember fills her with dread. People aren't supposed to black out when they're sober.

Vada's tongue glides along her teeth as she tries to taste wine, or any kind of alcohol, but she comes up empty. Her heart is pounding as the door opens and Sam appears with a grin on his face.

"You good, girl?"

"What time is it?"

"10:00am."

She sighs and puts her head in her hands, feeling him sit on the edge of the bed.

"Did the boyfriend keep you up all night? You two were all over each other once you came back from the other room. I've never seen so much making out in my life, other than when I was a teenager and I used to go to the drive-in." He pauses and stares at her. "Are you sure you're okay?"