𝔗𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶: 𝔈𝔭𝔦𝔩𝔬𝔤𝔲𝔢

That's a wrap, folks! No content warnings, just a sweet, soft ending for these characters <3 

ONE YEAR LATER

It's October again. The leaves crunch below people's feet and the air is crisp and perfectly cool. The sun hangs low on the horizon, clinging for life. It reminds him of the first day he arrived here. The smell of death is a little sweeter, more comforting this time. He's made peace with it. This is their home now.

People wander around Greybrooke in warm wool coats, heading off to Halloween parties and waving at him through the window. He loves this time of year, lives for it. He, Vada, and Steve are hosting a big party at Thaddeus's mansion. They've turned the downstairs portion into the funeral home to give Vada more space while Steve, Kate, Vada, and James live upstairs.

Vada sold the old funeral home last year. Sometimes, he misses looking outside the shop window and seeing her bringing flowers in, or taking a short break on the porch to soak up some sunshine.

But he loves living with her.

The basement to the mansion has four large, separate spaces - an office for Vada, an office for Sam, and an office for Kate, along with a morgue. They can store more than one body down here now, and it's locked away with complete and utter privacy. They turned the library into a viewing room that looks out over the cliff, and converted the big living space into a chapel with high vaulted ceilings, an organ that James plays for services, and a stained glass window for the sun to pour through.

Four vampires and a human running a funeral home and a flower shop.

James never thought he would see the day.

The doorbell chimes as James looks up from tying together a bundle of roses. Alpine sleeps in the sunshine, her big, bushy tail flicking his metal hand as she snores softly. He didn't know cats could snore as loud as she does, but it's fine.

Sam and Vada step inside with big smiles on their faces.

"Hey!" James shouts, beaming as he throws his hands in the air. "My favorite people!"

"Hey, James," Sam chuckles as they walk up to the counter. He gives Alpine's head a gentle little scratch and she meows softly in her sleep. "How're the decorations coming?"

"Good!" James chirps. "Real good. I got black roses galore."

"Where's Steve?" Vada asks.

"Making out with Kate in the back room."

"No I'm not!" Steve shouts, followed by the sound of Kate giggling.

Vada giggles and hops the counter, pressing her lips to James's while Sam rolls his eyes.

"No fangs!" He shouts as Vada's mouth melts into James's. A year into their partnership and he's never gotten tired of kissing her. Or fucking her.

Or breaking her spine during sex. They still haven't told Sam about that.