2. Xie Lian has an idea

Now I'd like to take you to Qiandeng Temple, on the day after, where Xie Lian was having a leisure stroll outside. He was too at leisure, which looked suspicious to a keen observer; faking it of course. Soon he saw who he was waiting for: Yin Yu, on patrol on the main street, as The XiaXian Yue Officer.

"Hello Yin Yu", Xie Lian greeted him brightly, and lowering his voice emphatically, added, "San Lang is doing a particularly difficult calligraphy exercise inside, so I didn't want to disturb him".

"Your Highness", Yin Yu greeted him back; he always felt amazed how Xie Lian insisted on Hua Chengzhu improving his calligraphy skills. Maybe it was all a game between them, he thought, but wouldn't dare to comment on it.

"Can I walk with you to stretch my legs?", Xie Lian asked casually.

"Your Highness", he bowed neutrally.

If it was you or me, we'd be most discouraged by this reply; but Xie Lian knew Yin Yu well, and he was always like that. Specially as The XiaXian Yue Officer, he had to look extra subservient, always showing the utmost respect to Xie Lian, who was practically the Ghost City ruler's noble consort.

They walked down the road together, and Xie Lian nonchalantly asked,

"So, Yin Yu is there anything, hum, bothering you?"

"Your Highness?", he replied.

"I noticed you're a bit on the edge", Xie Lian explained, "Your spiritual core must be unbalanced".

Naturally Yin Yu didn't show, but he was feeling startled; it wasn't normal for people to notice him at all, let alone notice his moods. His spiritual core must be not only unbalanced, but on the verge of shattering completely. He felt a tightness on his chest. Since nobody noticed anything about him, it wasn't his use to talk about his feelings at all.

"Your Highness", he composedly started, "I'm sick and tired of being boring, unnoticed, forgettable. Certainly is handy for some missions, but..."

Xie Lian understood. "Oh Yin Yu", he replied, "You're none of these things. You're just discrete, you keep yourself to yourself, you're an introvert. Nothing wrong with that".

Yin Yu cupped his hands respectfully, and said, "Thank you Your Highness for your kind words, but... that's not true. Nobody ever sees me. I can walk in and walk out of any place without anyone spotting me, or noticing my presence. That... hurts", he concluded.

Esteemed reader, are you heartbroken? Because I absolutely am!

Xie Lian was heartbroken too. It just wasn't fair.

He said, "Yin Yu, you were detained by Jun Wu, and you were able to stick to your own ideals; how can that be boring, unnoticed, forgettable? I can't forget it: it was a tale for the ages! What people see isn't important. You know? The essential is invisible to the eye".

Yin Yu clicked his tongue and shook his head, the very image of helplessness.

Xie Lian became thoughtful, pressing his fist to his mouth. Then he punched a fist on his palm.

"Yes! Yin Yu, I have an idea", he said, smiling brightly, bursting with excitement. 

Xie Lian has an idea... Now we're even more curious! 😜

Thanks for reading!