9. The Butterfly and Flower Pavilion

After successfully securing a script and a director for the play, Shi Qingxuan went to see Hua Cheng again, and talk about the next item on his list: a venue. Ghost City had many luxurious, glamorous buildings, but Shi Qingxuan couldn't think of one fit for the purpose: not only spacious for the audience, but with a stage, and room for the backstage.

"There's The Temple of Wind and Water in Royal Capital – not ideal, but at least big enough", Shi Qingxuan said; he could also get some profit on the side running a bar in the temple or something.

"I have something in mind actually", Hua Cheng replied; as he got up from his jaded divan, Xie Lian walked in Paradise Manor. He smiled, "Ah Gege! Just on time, I was going to show Shi Qingxuan a place I think maybe would work for the play" – but before anything, he hugged and kissed Xie Lian.

They walked into the shortening distance chamber, and beyond its door, there was somewhere that looked like a dark forest by a lake. There was an elegant pavilion with red and green lights in the distance: Paradise Manor. So they were actually on the other side of the lake!

"Hum, Hua Chengzhu, there's nothing here..." Shi Qingxuan observed, and Hua Cheng flashed a smile, then waved his hand, removing an illusion spell; suddenly, part of the forest dissipated, revealing a huge building looming over them. Hua Cheng gestured for them to follow.

After climbing some stairs, they entered it; it looked like a temple, old but in good state, its architectural style plain, with thick columns, and inside, a spacious hall with a tall altar at its back.

"San Lang, what's this place? And why was it hidden by an illusion spell?", Xie Lian asked.

"Naturally it's a temple I started building for Gege, but I thought it looked boring, so I just left it here", he replied smiling, "we can repurpose it as a theatre".

Xie Lian was stunned; Hua Cheng started building this probably a few centuries ago, then went off to build Qiandeng Temple. It was far from boring... it was HUGE, and if finished would be an impressive temple fit for a powerful god. It was made following the "no prostate" rule from Xie Lian's very first ascension too; realising this last detail, Xie Lian went close, and grabbed his hand.

Hua Cheng smiled at him, "It could be called The Crown Prince Who Pleased the Gods Pavilion?"

"Please San Lang, no!", Xie Lian replied.

"Sword and Flower Pavilion then", Hua Cheng replied.

Esteemed reader, I've got a feeling we'll be here all night hearing Hua Cheng suggesting names related to Xie Lian, while Xie Lian himself will be rejecting them all in embarrassment!

Shi Qingxuan intervened, "How about we call it The Butterfly and Flower Pavilion? After the poem..."

It was still a clear reference to Hua Cheng and him, and Xie Lian blushed. "I think that's alright..."

"Perfect! Hua Chengzhu, Your Highness. This will do! We just need a good clean up, a lick of paint – "

"That's easy", Hua Cheng said, putting two fingers on his temple, "I'll ask Yin Yu to sort this out – "

"San Lang, not Yin Yu. He's the leading man of this play remember?"

"Oh right", Hua Cheng replied. Too late: Yin Yu just walked in the building: he had been summoned!

"Hua Chengzhu. Your Highness. Lord Wind Master", he nodded at the three of them respectfully.

"Ah Yin Yu! So, we're going to repurpose this building as a theatre. What do you think?"

As expected, Yin Yu went, "..."

Thanks for reading, I hope you liked! 😄

If you did, please vote, comment, follow me.