5. Shi Qingxuan gets a generous budget

Xie Lian wasn't exactly surprised when he realised the person Hua Cheng had in mind to organise the play's production was none other than Shi Qingxuan. Who else? He was clever, resourceful, well-connected in all The Three Realms, lawless just at the right amount, and, something Xie Lian was sure Hua Cheng appreciated the most: business minded.

"Lord Wind Master!", he greeted him in delight when he met Shi Qingxuan, sitting comfortably at Qiandeng Temple and drinking wine, being of course entertained by Hua Cheng.

"Your Highness", he cupped his hands respectfully in salute; he was being extra formal just because Hua Cheng was present, otherwise he'd have hugged Xie Lian and patted him on the back. He was happy to see the thrice-ascended god, his friend.

"Gege", Hua Cheng got up and kissed him, then brought him by the hand to sit beside him at the divan where he was discussing business with Shi Qingxuan.

"Where were we?"

"Hum", Shi Qingxuan replied, "Theatre huh? That's, how do I put it, very ground-breaking of our lord Hua Chengzhu", Shi Qingxuan smiled brightly, "I'm not familiar with theatre myself, I mean with the behind-the-scenes stuff. But –"

"Much can be accomplished with a generous budget, I'm sure", Hua Cheng said, giving him that fake smile he reserved for anyone but Xie Lian.

"Ah", Shi Qingxuan stopped sipping his wine, "Of course! After all money makes The Three Realms go round, and opens doors. If you don't have knowledge or skill to execute a certain task, why you can buy them!", and he laughed a knowledgeable laughter. Shi Qingxuan always felt at ease like that.

I don't know you, esteemed reader, but in my opinion, our lord Hua Chengzhu rather likes Shi Qingxuan. We could build a big case on his personality, but the fact that Shi Qingxuan was always ready to stick to Xie Lian and was his friend regardless of him being the laughingstock of The Three Realms was what would seal the deal for Hua Cheng.

Anyway. Xie Lian just followed that conversation, fascinated; they were both such men of the world!

Hua Cheng sipped his wine, then said, "Shi Qingxuan. You have carte blanche with the budget, you know that. As the main investor – sole investor in fact – I just reserve myself the right of supervising the proceedings. Either than that..."

"I can do as I please, as long as I deliver. My lords. Leave it to me", he smiled, and, downing his wine, got up, ready to leave and start making arrangements. Shi Qingxuan felt enthusiastic about the whole thing, and could hardly contain his excitement.

Xie Lian got up too, in order to politely take him to the door. Hua Cheng called Shi Qinxuan back,

"Another thing", he smiled again, "You can also use my name".

"Hum, this is even better than money", Shi Qingxuan replied, with a little amused laughter, and left.

Xie Lian turned to Hua Cheng, "Your name? San Lang, you don't think he's going to, hum, use your name to actually threaten people, do you?"

Picking up his brush to go back to his calligraphy exercises, Hua Cheng just smiled to himself.

Yay Shi Qingxuan everybody! 😆

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote,comment or follow me...