14. General Nan Yang also takes command!

After a few days – which felt like centuries for the downtrodden actors – of rehearsing on the drill-ground behind Puqi Shrine, the cast was moved to the Butterfly and Flower Pavilion. That's where I'm bringing you, esteemed reader, right to the very heart of all action!

This was where the actual play would be staged, so besides their lines, they needed to rehearse the blocking – that is, in theatre lingo, their movements or placing onstage – and choreography for the fight scenes. A Stage Director was appointed, and was dutifully giving the cast some guidance.

"Yin Yu, you enter from the house right, walking slowly to the down-stage, got it?", Feng Xin said.

House right was the right-side from the point-of-view of the audience, and down-stage, the front of the stage. They all had to learn that too!

"Hum", Mu Qing stepped in, closed fist covering his mouth, "I think he should come from the house left, to signal some, hum, controversy, something disturbing about his character..."

Feng Xin frowned, "Fuck! He's coming from the right because the stage smoke is coming from the left right? That's what the Director of Props is doing..."

Mu Qing rolled his eyes, Feng Xin crossed his arms. They'd start arguing again.

Let's leave them at each other's throats, as they've done so many times before, and see what's going on down at the entrance of the pavilion. Hua Cheng and Shi Qingxuan are inspecting the new painting and decoration, and working on some upselling for the play. Business time!

"I say, Hua Chengzhu, a bar is always profitable, and not at all out of context here..."

They were approached by Xie Lian. "Hum, my lords", he started, "The Production Department received a complaint! What happens is, no women were cast for the play, and even among the crew there's only Ling Wen. They're saying this is highly sexist and not inclusive at all!"

Shi Qingxuan opened his fan and waved it around, "Why of course! This is one of the unwritten laws of theatre. Historically no women were allowed – "

"But why, Lord Wind Master, you surely don't think women can't act at all do you?", Xie Lian asked.

"That's not it. It's just, it'd be improper for, say a male actor, on a play, to kiss a female actor? They'd be target of so much gossiping! Now with two males... There can't be any improper kissing between two men right?", he trails off, looking at Xie Lian and Hua Cheng; Hua Cheng smiled and winked.

Back at the stage, the rehearsals continue with the direction of both Feng Xin and Mu Qing.

"You look at 'her' smitten... you're instantly in love right? She's a beauty beyond your wildest dreams, she gives you fever and – " Mu Qing trailed off, "Yes yes I know, cultivation path, right. Use your imagination! Anyway, go!"

"Oh! She does teach the torches to, hum..." Yin Yu went on uncertainly with his lines.

"Shine bright", Mu Qing repeated, closing his eyes in exasperation.

"Shine bright...", Yin Yu went on.

Feng Xin stepped in, "Alright, you say that when you see 'her'... you walk to the f... right – "

"I think", Mu Qing said, "He shouldn't walk at all. He's paralysed by the lady's beauty and – "

More arguing follows. This doesn't seem to be getting any easier dear reader!

Let's hope The Butterfly and Flower Pavilion survives these guys! 😳

Go on, vote, comment, follow me...