6. Shi Qingxuan draws his plans

Hua Cheng liked to spend time in Puqi Shrine, in The Mortal Realm, doing house chores like cleaning, cooking and washing clothes in the creek behind the shrine; then seeing to Xie Lian's devotees. Together they went to the paddy fields to tend to the rice crops; Hua Cheng gave the farmers a hand at fixing broken ploughs and what not.

That's where we're finding him this time esteemed reader, sweeping fallen leaves just outside the shrine, while Xie Lian is cooking. Our ghost king chooses a quiet domestic life to relax from ruling The Ghost Realm – but above all to spend some time alone with Xie Lian.

That's where Shi Qingxuan went to look for him too, a few days later, to give full account of his enquiring about setting up a theatre play. He walked in the shrine dressed in white cultivator robes – of a more luxurious type than the ones favoured by Xie Lian – cupping his hands in greetings.

"Hua Chengzhu. Your Highness".

"Lord Wind Master!", Xie Lian replied with a warm smile, "Please come in, come in. I'll brew us some fresh tea, please take a sit at the altar table and see to your business with San Lang".

As much as he appreciated Xie Lian's hospitality, he much preferred to find Hua Cheng at Paradise Manor, where he was always served wines and snacks fit for a ghost king. While in Puqi Shrine, forget the snacks, and just tea... oh well some fresh tea would be nice too.

Xie Lian brought the kettle and cups, and sat down beside Hua Cheng, who held his hand.

"So, Hua Chengzhu. Your Highness!", he said, after sipping his tea then taking a scroll from out of his sleeves, "Here are my draft plans for our theatre endeavours".

Hua Cheng glanced quickly at it; Xie Lian couldn't help but widen his eyes in awe.

"Lord Wind Master, you said you weren't familiar with the behind-the-scenes stuff, but... how come... and in such a short time too!"

"Your Highness, remember I also said you can easily buy knowledge or skills... this time I didn't even need to spend anything: I borrowed a few junior officials from The Palace of Ling Wen, and they did some research for me... naturally I put everything together as I saw fit", he replied smiling brightly.

Xie Lian didn't know if he called some favours from Ling Wen using his late brother's name, as one of The Three Tumours, or if he actually threatened her using Hua Cheng's name. It's been only a few days, he thought. He'd place his bets on the last option.

If you ask me reader, I think he threatened Ling Wen with a visit from Hua Cheng too. How could she forget her time as a daruma doll, seeing The Green Ghost Qi Rong making a mess at her palace? Qi Rong is long gone, but the responsible for that daruma doll spell is still around...

"Alright", Xie Lian starts reading the scroll out loud, "we need a script, a director, a venue, then do auditions, rehearsals, costumes & props, music, and finally, marketing & promotion".

"Guess it's pretty much doable if you bring the right people in", Hua Cheng then commented.

"A few names come to mind actually", he replied, "Hua Chengzhu, Your Highness: this Producer, or Managing Director, will give you something outside the box, ground-breaking, mind-blowing..."

"I'm expecting nothing less than all that", Hua Cheng replied with what it could be described an unpleasant smile; he clearly thought Shi Qingxuan was overstaying his welcome.

I'm telling you, he's not just a pretty face! 😉

Thanks for reading!