||Two||

The sun shone bright the next morning despite last night's rain. I had a mug of warm cinnamon tea in my hands, slowly sipping the comforting liquid as I stared out the giant wall-sized window of my apartment. Scanning the rest of my apartment, from the comfortable blanket covered couch by the fire place, to the fancy desk by the corner, I decided the place looked clean enough.

My un-named dog sat lazily by the couch, wagging his tail in air as he barked softly, a sign that he wanted out.

Not knowing what time Devin would arrive, I didn't want to risk being out of the apartment. But I also couldn't leave my dog un-walked.

Sighing, I whistled softly, my dog bounced off the couch and came skipping over to where I stood by my apartment door. I opened the door, earning an excited woof.

I knocked on Rob's door and waited as I heard him knock over his things and calling, "Be right there!"

The dog grew restless by my side, striding around and occasionally letting out an impatient bark.

The door finally opened, revealing a disheveled looking Rob. He was still in his boxers, a shirt on his torso that he was wearing the other way around, and his hair a complete mess of light colored tangles. His jaw was dotted with rough looking stubble, and if he wasn't older than me by so many years, I'd probably say he was attractive.

And of course, if he didn't take a different woman to bed almost every night.

Rob's face broke into a friendly smile upon seeing me, "Good morning, neighbor!"

I almost rolled my eyes.

"Hey, Rob. Would you mind walking my dog for a few minuets? I'm kind of expecting someone..."

Rob bent down to pet my dog, who nuzzled his hand. Rob looked up with a smile, "Sure, I'll just...change."

Nodding, I waited outside his door with the dog moving around my feet.

A few minutes later, Rob re-appeared a lot better dressed and smelling of fresh cologne. I handed him the leash that I had tied around the dog's collar.

"Here," I said, "you can bring him back whenever you feel tired. Just don't lose him."

He laughed as if I'd said the funniest joke he's ever heard, "Don't worry."

I kind of began to worry after he said that, but shook the stupid feeling off.

"See ya' kid!" Rob called as he walked down the corridor as he neared the elevator.

"I'm not a kid," I muttered under my breath.

I turned around and unlocked my apartment door, quietly stepping in. The air felt somewhat stiff, so I walked over to the cupboard where I kept my favorite candles, thinking the wonderful scents might freshen up the place. I lit a couple after setting them down on different locations around the living room, then walked over to one of the many windows and pushed one open, fresh winter air flooding through.

Flopping down on the couch, I stretched my legs out so they settled on the coffee table in front of the T.V. I didn't feel like watching anything, so I stared at the blank screen for a while, thinking, remembering.

There was this one time, back in middle school when Devin started looking at girls. Like, really looking at them. I remember him talking about who was prettier than who, and who he thought liked him, or me. I realized then that I couldn't relate to what he was saying, which scared me. I knew what it meant, because I knew a boy who didn't like girls and what the others would scribble on his desk during lunch before class.