||Fourteen||

Ian texted me the next morning.

"Devin's still pissed."

I frowned.

Last night's events were still fresh in my memory. I never knew a good day could end so badly until then. Jake shared something special with me, and I enjoyed every second of it. And then it all fell apart because I decided to be the century's number one jerk.

"So?" I texted back.

"He's your best friend."

"He's your boyfriend."

Ian stopped texting after that, but the anger and frustration I felt was still there.

My phone rang in my hand.

"Nate, you have to talk to him," Ian said.

"Why can't you do it?"

"I tried," he stressed out.

Irked, I ran my fingers through my hair which had grown out in the past few weeks.

"What's he so upset about?"

"He...He's mad that I didn't tell him about you and Tom earlier. Keeps calling me a goddamn liar."

I could hear the anger and hurt in his voice, the way it deepened, and the heavy breaths he took in between every few words.

"How can I help with that? It's all my fault."

"I just thought since you knew him longer..."

I sighed. "Where is he?"

"My apartment."

I squeezed my eyes shut and took a few deep breaths before opening them again. "Send me your address."

He sighed. "Thank y-"

"Don't thank me yet. I haven't done anything."

"Still, you're willing to try."

I didn't say anything to that, but waited until we both hung up.

Ian sent me his address a few seconds later, and I got my car keys out and ready.

The dog barked by the corner, and I bent down to pick him up.

Locking my apartment door, I knocked loudly against Rob's.

"Hello, Nate. It's been a while."

I rubbed the back of my neck. "I know. I'm sorry."

He smiled a little and pointed at the dog in question.

"Please?" I asked.

"No worries."

"Thank you, I owe you one."

"Correction, you owe me many." Then he winked, picked up the dog, and ducked back inside his apartment.

I huffed, my hair flopping out of my view as I quickly rushed towards the elevator down to the parking space where I hurriedly got into my car.

My fingers tapped against the steering wheel unconsciously as I drove, my thoughts far away from the street signs and buzzing car engines. All I could think of was Devin. I forgot all about Jake. He wasn't my best friend. My best friend was back and I still spent time with someone else, that didn't make a good friend. That made me a horrible friend. Not to add that I freaking lied to him, repeatedly.

I chewed my lip nervously as I slowly neared the parking spaces.

Climbing out of the car, I took a deep breath and tried to calm my nerves.