The Gates of Asgard

In the blink of an eye, the dusty town of Empire disappears. Melody stumbles a step as the ground shifts underneath her. What was solid concrete suddenly turns into old, splintery planks, groaning under their sudden weight. Oliver lets out a deep breath, leaning on his staff.

"S-Sorry," he says, panting softly. "Two people takes a lot out of me."

"It's okay," Melody says, breathing in the swampy air. Her eyes slide over the horizon; tall stalks of grass rise out of a shallow river, with a network of old docks built like the branches of a tree over it. They stand where the branches meet, facing the building she knows all too well. Asgard.

The building is small, barely large enough to park a simple fishing boat. It's little more than a wooden shack, the white paint peeling from years under the harsh sun and heavy rain. Tall windows line the walls but are blocked by thick curtains on the inside. A few boxes sit on one side of the dock, waiting to be used, but the building looks like it was abandoned long ago.

Almost instantly Melody feels the itch. She scratches her arms, shrinking into herself. How long has it been? Five years? Six? Far too long - what is she going to say when she steps inside? When she was planning her journey, the Norse Pantheon felt like it would be the easiest for her to visit. But now, just a few feet from the door, she can't make herself take those final steps.

"The Aesir aren't that scary!" Oliver says, raising his head. He's covered in sweat, and his usually coloured skin looks grey and sickly. "Odin is friendly, and... they...have good drinks!" He adds, his eyes sliding to the side. Melody grips her arms, swallowing her anxiety. But no matter how much she tries, the itch continues. It's not the Aesir she's afraid of. It's him. The one she's really there to see.

"D-do you mind taking a break?" She says, looking down at the red marks on her arms from scratching so hard. "I-I just need a minute."

"Of course!" Oliver squeaks, raising his hands defensively. "We can - uh - why don't we-?" He gestures at the boxes vaguely. Melody nods, not fully listening. She follows him to the pile and sits down on the first empty spot she can find. Oliver awkwardly sits next to her, wringing his staff like he's trying to strangle the twin snakes.

How am I supposed to bring this up, Melody thinks. She grips her elbows to stop herself from scratching, absentmindedly chewing her lip instead. Odin I can convince. Maybe even Thor. But...how am I supposed to tell Oliver why I wanted to come here so badly? After he worked so hard, went through so much to stop him...will he really be okay with this? A black shape flutters down from the sky, settling on the top of the boathouse. Melody doesn't look at it - she knows what it is. I'm trying, okay? Just give me a second!

"Oliver...?" She mutters, still staring at the floor. Oliver jumps, having been staring at the raven. "Can we...talk?"

"Yeah!" He says, his eyes flicking to the massive bird every so often. Melody stares at the dock, watching the shadow the raven casts.

"Thanks. I'm just wondering...what do you think...of Marcus?" Oliver pauses, turning to face her curiously. Silence hangs over them for a time, and Melody can feel the raven watching her. 

"L-Like I told Zeus, I think he was right," Oliver begins. Melody shakes her head, slamming her hands on the box next to her legs.

"I don't mean his goal!" She snaps, catching herself a second later. Breaking from her trance, she hovers one hand in front of her mouth, looking up at Oliver. "S-sorry. I just mean...as a person. You're the one that had to stop him, in the end. Do you think Marcus is...bad?" Oliver stares at her, his usual sheepish nature seeming to fade away. A thin smile spreads across his lips, and he looks down, sliding his thumb over Caduceus.