No More Secrets

Frigg spends the rest of the day fussing over Melody. She brings large trays of food, has Melody try on fancy dresses made of silk, and transports her all over Asgard to her favorite spots. Between each course, after each outfit, and at every stop, she begs Melody to call off her challenge. Melody refuses every time.

No matter what she does or how much Frigg begs, two things stick in Melody's mind like thorns. The first, of course, is Marcus. The horrible scars now burned permanently into his face. His pale skin, stringy hair, and dull, lifeless eyes. She can still hear his screams ringing in her ears, knowing that the longer she has to wait, the more he's suffering. The second is Oliver, his wide, terrified eyes watching her as she all but signs his life away to Odin.

I can't keep this a secret anymore, she decides as Frigg conjures a new selection of clothes. I owe him an explanation. He's done so much to help me - he deserves to at least know why I'm doing this. She tries to enjoy her time catching up with her adoptive mother, but soon enough, the sun starts to set, and she has to face reality.

Frigg leads Melody to the guest chambers. It's a large, fancy wing of Asgard decorated with all kinds of modern furniture. The main room is set up like a living room, with thee couches organized around a short square table. In the far corner is a counter with a minifridge and sink. A flat-screen TV hangs on the wall opposite the middle couch. On one side of the room is a tall door leading to the bedchambers.

Melody steps inside, leaning back against the door as it closes. A large bundle of blankets and pillows sits on the couch in a pile, a pair of hands sticking out a small hole in the front. Caduceus leans against it, and a steaming mug sits on the table in front of it. The pile twitches as the door clicks closed, seeming to deflate on its own. Melody sighs, hanging her head.

"Oliver," She breathes, staring at her feet. The pile twitches again, sliding a little further away from her. She stands in silence, debating what she can say. Of course, she knows that she should be apologizing. But she can't find the words she wants. How do you bring up something so important? Finally, after a few minutes of silence, the pile shifts again.

"D-Do you really think we can win?" Oliver whimpers. Melody snaps out of her trance, gripping the doorknobs behind her back tightly.

"Yes!" She says, biting her lip a moment later. Her head sags on her neck, and she looks at her boots again. "Is... what I want to say. I have a plan. But it's going to be tough."

"Tough?" Oliver echoes, pulling his cocoon back enough to reveal his face. He has heavy bags under his eyes, and his lips shift and twitch whenever he pauses for breath. "You challenged Odin to Vrafthrufnir's game of riddles - do you know what that is? What that means?" His hands shake as he grips his blanket. Melody nods, slowly making her way to the couch. She plops down on the very edge, across the table from his nest.

"Vrafthruthnir was a giant that believed he knew everything in the nine realms," She explains, casting her mind back to the countless hours she spent researching the various cultures of the world. "Odin disguised himself and challenged Vrafthruthnir to a battle of wits. They asked each other questions back and forth to see who was smarter. Eventually, Vrafthruthnir decided to bet his life on the game, not knowing he was against the god of knowledge. And when he lost, Odin took his head as a prize." Oliver nods so vigorously that one of his pillows flop to the floor.

"Odin is a god of wisdom! He knows pretty much everything there is to know!" He runs his hands through his hair, sinking back into his fluffy cocoon. "How are we going to beat him?"

"We can," Melody says, sliding forward. "Odin knows a lot, but he doesn't know everything. He beat Vrafthruthnir by asking something that only he knew. We've got to force Odin into that same position. Ask him something only we know the answer to." Oliver hums softly, and Melody continues. "Plus, we're not just against Odin. That's why I suggested Thor join to - he's a big meathead." She swells with pride, trying to look confident. "If we can trip him up, then we can win."