The Sun Rises

Koji hurries through the halls, limping slightly with every step. Julien follows close at his heels, ignoring the confused gods they pass along the way. But Marcus doesn't pay attention to either of them; his eyes are glued to the girl walking next to Melody. The girl that should be dead.

He remembers the day Oliver stopped his rebellion, and Marcus made the biggest mistake of his life. Above trying to cause a war, and almost unleashing Fenrir on the world. He remembers how the Mistletoe arrow felt in his fingers as he drew it back, aimed at Oliver's heart. A weapon made to kill a god. How his heart twisted with regret as soon as he let it fly. And the sickening thump as it found its mark - in Emelia's back.

There's no way anyone could survive getting hit by such a weapon. But somehow, despite having lost her godly power at the time, she did. Or maybe she survived because she was stripped of her power. When godly teacher taught him about the arrow, he said that it strips a god's divinity away, turning their own power into a deadly poison. Then, once there's no power left inside them, the arrow unleashes the poison into their mortal body, killing them instantly. But she had no divinity inside of her at the time.

"How did you even get here?" Melody says, cutting through Marcus's thoughts. He was wondering the same thing. He lifts his head, leaning forward slightly to tune into their conversation.

"Oliver went to Olympus to get Apollo, and he said that they would have to ask Ra to take over as the sun for a few days," Emelia explains as they walk. "So, they came to Empire. While Julien met with Ra, Oliver came to find me." Her cheeks flush, and Marcus has to narrow his eyes to make her face come into focus. "Apparently he's been missing me like crazy."

"I don't blame him," Melody says with a smile. "But I mean, how did you get here? To Japan?"

"I demanded that they bring me along," she replies plainly. "After seeing everything you've had to deal with, I-"

"We're here," Koji calls from the front of the group. Marcus shrinks back as Ra and Oliver step past, and the group crowds around the door. Koji bangs on it with his fist, making the wood rattle. "Akari, it's me! Open up, I need to talk to you!" No reply comes, but the door slowly creaks open, sending a streak of light across the hall. Koji quickly pulls it open, and the group begins to file into the room one by one. Marcus watches Emelia disappear into the light, taking another step back. He touches his stomach, trying to force the sour feeling back.

"Marcus?" Oliver says, pausing outside the door. He flutters over, his winged shoes carrying him. "What's wrong?" He says, looking up and down the hall nervously. "Is something...?"

"Nothing, I'm fine," Marcus lies. His stomach twists again, and he has to clamp his mouth shut. Oliver shrinks back, touching his keychain staff.

"But you look pale, and-"

"I was just in a big fight, I'm fine," Marcus insists, trying to brush past. But when his eyes settle on the door again, he can't help but freeze mid-step. His stomach churns, threatening to eject the meagre dinner he managed to choke down. Oliver anxiously touches his shoulder, and Marcus sighs, hanging his head. "I didn't believe you."

"D-didn't believe me?" Oliver echoes dumbly. "About what?"

"Her," Marcus says, waving his hand at the door. "Your girlfriend. I thought you were just trying to make me feel better." Oliver blinks at him, his mouth flapping open and closed.

"But - but - I told you, she's okay! Kayla - Aphrodite - she saved her, and now she's-"

"I see that now!" Marcus growls. He takes a deep breath, letting the guilt slowly overtake his mind. Bottling it up has only made it worse. "Don't you get it? Alive or not, I tried to kill her. I tried to kill you!" He slams his fist against the wall, wincing when his shoulder flares with pain. "How can you two act like that never happened?" He whispers, hanging his head. Oliver stares at him again, slowly raising an eyebrow.