Remember Me

The group is led to one of the smaller pagodas by a group of twelve guards. Erlang follows close behind, giving Melody a sense of comfort. It seems like he's joined their cause - or, at least, is on their side, for now. It was only when he stepped up that the other Taoist gods started to consider her case.

The guards herd them into a long hallway with five doors on either side. Erlang dismisses the guards with a wave of his hand, and they take up positions at the end of the hall. He turns to address the group, eyeing each of them in turn. Melody takes the chance to check on her friends as well; she's been so wrapped up in making mental preparations for meeting the Buddha that she didn't think to ask their opinions.

Oliver looks the worst, his skin pale and clammy. He's still covered in sweat, his eyes only half-open. Emelia has her arm linked with his, and it looks like she's carrying more of his weight than he is. Her eyes flick around at the guards suspiciously as Erlang leads them down the hall. Koji follows behind, his eyes on the floor. He hasn't said a word since Sun brought up Tsukuyomi. He looks positively green; probably from the fight that almost broke out back in the throne room. But it's Marcus she's most worried about. He looks on edge, like he's ready to spring on the closest guard at the first sign of trouble.

Melody waits for the others to pass, falling into line next to him. She touches his arm to get his attention, offering a weak smile. "It's okay, you can relax," she says quietly. Marcus huffs, staring at the back of Erlang's head.

"We're in enemy territory. We're basically prisoners."

"Then there's no point in causing a scene," Melody touches his arm again when he doesn't respond. "Things are going better than I thought they would. We don't want to risk upsetting the Jade Emperor again, I only just convinced him to listen to us."

"I know," he sighs, hanging his head. "But it feels too easy. There's got to be something we're missing." Melody frowns, her eyes drifting to the floor. At least she isn't the only one thinking it.

"All we can do is wait for the Buddha to arrive," she says with a nod. "Don't let your guard down, but you need to sleep while we have the chance." He goes silent, and she nudges him again. "Please?"

"Fine. But we're sleeping in shifts."

"Here we are, "Erlang says, turning to face the group. He gestures to the doors around them. "These will be your rooms. You'll be staying here until the Buddha arrives. When he does, you'll be escorted back to the Throne room." His smile fades a little, and he lets his hands fall to his sides. "I should also warn you. You're free to visit each other's rooms, but you will not be allowed to leave this hall until you are summoned. Guards will be stations outside your windows and at the end of the hall at all times." He gestures back the way they came, at the line of four guards standing at attention.

"So, we're prisoners," Marcus grumbles. Erlang chuckles.

"You're guests, but the Jade Emperor is still weary of you. You've made him question his beliefs, and he doesn't want you causing trouble throughout Heaven."

"We won't," Melody promises for the group. "How long will it take for the Buddha to arrive?"

"I can't say for sure," Erlang replies. "It's not often we reach out to the Buddha directly. He's one of the Gods of Old, after all - in fact, the Jade Emperor is the only person here who's actually met him. Whenever he's called, the rest of us are sent out." He shrugs, shaking his head. "You'll find everything you could need in your rooms; bedding, food, fresh water, and a place to bathe. I can personally promise that you'll be kept comfortable."