Words on a Page

Melody brushes her hair, staring intently at her reflection in the mirror. It's been three days since Sun Wukong left. Three days since arriving at the Jade Palace. She tried to relax, trusting that the Jade Emperor would keep his word. But a small voice in the back of her head keeps giving her doubt.

At any moment, he could change his mind and arrest them. Marcus has been all too eager to point out how they're basically prisoners. Oliver and Koji clam up whenever he gets started, and even Emelia remains oddly silent. Seeing her friends so worried, Melody has done her best to appear confident. And today is no exception.

She sets her brush down, looking over herself. Light makeup to hide the bags under her eyes. Some foundation and blush to add color to her cheeks. And the most casual, laid-back outfit she could think of, a white tank top, black shorts, and a long-sleeved pajama shirt. She throws her bag over her shoulder, keeping a hand firmly on the flap. Power buzzes under her fingers from the new enchantments she's put on it.

Ever since getting the treaty back, she's taken it everywhere - even the shower. So, she made the bag waterproof. She added a few dummy spells to hide the pocket concealing the treaty and even spent some time sewing new pockets in case someone rummages through it. At the time she was proud of her work; but looking back, she knows it's just her way of managing her stress.

"He'll be here soon," she tells herself in the mirror, breathing deeply in and letting it out slowly. She even sounds somewhat sincere. Now if only the others would believe her. She glances out her window at the rising sun. The others are probably waiting for her by now. She stands up, walks confidently to the door, and pulls it open.

"Oh. Good timing," Erlang says, his hand raised as if to knock. Melody jumps back in surprise, stammering for a response. "I was sent to summon you." Someone moves behind him, and she shifts her gaze, seeing Oliver staring back at her. She leans into the hall to find the rest of her friends gathered.

"What's going on?" She says dumbly, looking up at Erlang. He chuckles, crossing his arms.

"The Buddha has arrived. I'll be taking you to speak with him now," he says. Melody gasps, looking down at herself. Suddenly she regrets her choice of clothing.

"O-Okay, let me just get changed-"

"We can't keep the Buddha waiting!" Erlang says quickly, pulling her door closed behind her. "He won't mind what you wear - let's get going."

"But-" Melody tries, squeaking when an arm slithers around her waist. She looks back to see Marcus, his jaw set and eyes forward. "But!" She tries again when he drags her after Erlang. She looks at herself, a lump forming in her throat. Pajamas feel like the absolute last thing she should wear to negotiate peace, not to mention meeting one of the Gods of Old.

As Erlang leads them into the courtyard, Melody can't help but notice how different it looks today. The guards are standing up straighter. Their armor shines brighter. It's like the whole palace has been freshly buffed and polished. There's tension in the air like everyone is afraid of being fired. Even Erlang walks with his shoulders squared and back straight.

Just what kind of person is the Buddha, Melody wonders. She had been expecting someone laid back, but now she's having second thoughts. He's one of the Gods of Old. He's got to be super powerful. Should I bow? Kneel? Am I even allowed to speak to him? Her eyes are drawn up when they reach the top of the winding staircase, and she can't help but stare at the large double doors. There isn't a guard in sight.

"This is as far as I go," Erlang says sadly. It takes Melody a second to realize that he's fallen to the back of the group. "Nobody is allowed to enter except for you five."