Freedom

Melody grips Marcus's fur, staring at the mountain looming ahead. Wozhang Shan sits silhouetted against the setting sun like a giant monster. At its peak is the Jade Palace. And lurking somewhere at its base is Sun Wukong.

Melody had wanted to spend the day training with Koji and Oliver to hone her skills as much as possible before their confrontation. But Emelia advised against it, saying they'll need their rest if they want to beat him. So, for the last ten hours since taking flight, Melody's had time to think things through. And in that time, she realized something.

"Keep an eye out, I'm sure that monkey jerk is going to be around here somewhere," Marcus rumbles under her. Koji visibly stiffens, curling his hands into fists. The Oliver clone carrying Emelia shivers as the original whimpers. Melody sucks in a deep breath, deciding it's now or never.

"You guys trust my judgement, right?" She says carefully. Emelia lets out a humorless laugh, her eyes flashing around the ground below them.

"We wouldn't be here if we didn't," she says. Melody nods, taking another breath to slow her racing heart.

"Then...I want to find Sun before going up the mountain," she declares. Koji nearly falls out of the air. Oliver's clone fizzles, just managing to hold its form to keep from dropping Emelia. Marcus rumbles darkly, showing his disdain. She's not surprised by any of their responses. "I want to talk to him about some things," Melody adds in the following silence.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Emelia says, shaking her head. "He won't let us past either way, and we need the element of surprise."

"W-we could still try sneaking around him," Oliver adds, hanging his head. He grips Caduceus tightly, the staff glowing weakly between his fingers. Melody's eyes sink. Of course, they wouldn't agree.

"...I'm not saying it's a good idea, but if you think it will work, then let's do it," Marcus says. He lifts his feline head, glaring at the mountain. "If you can get him on our side, we're pretty much set."

"Get him on our side?" Emelia echoes skeptically. "No offence Mel, but I don't see that happening."

"Me neither," Melody agrees. "But maybe I can convince him to let us pass. It's worth a shot, isn't it?" Everyone falls silent again, considering her words. Marcus is the first to break the long silence.

"How about this, then? If he shows up, we'll try talking first," he says. "But let's not go looking for him."

"I guess that would still work for the plan," Emelia adds with a thoughtful hum. "But what if he doesn't listen? We need to be ready in case he attacks."

"Oh, I'm ready," Marcus growls, baring his teeth. "If he tries anything funny, then he'll have to deal with me." Melody smiles, stroking his neck affectionately.

"Is that meant to be a threat?" The Monkey King says, making Melody jump. She whips around, seeing him floating next to her. He's lounging on what looks like a cloud, leaning back on his arms with his legs crossed. "I'm almost tempted to try something and see what happens."

"Oh, you'll see," Marcus snarls, swooping in a wide arc to face him. Koji spins in place, the wind around the group picking up. Emelia conjures her glowing bow, and Oliver's clone awkwardly shifts to stay out of her way when she notches an arrow. Melody lifts her head, doing her best to look official.

"Guys, please wait!" She yells, holding her hands out to her friends. She looks at each of them quickly, then focuses on her opponent. "Sun, can't we just talk?"