Monkey Business

Melody hums softly as she works, grasping the first strand of magic. It easily comes undone, revealing the second layer. She unravels that one just as easily, growling at herself. She waves her hand, dispelling the remaining layers to free herself. The binding spell breaks, and she sighs, flopping back on the bed. After leaving Asgard, she decided to do some magic training, recreating The Pit - the spell her mother used to teach her to use her powers - with her own magic. She's spent the last hour and a half trying to trap herself the way her mother usually does. But unravelling her own magic is too easy, she barely has to think about it. Which means it doesn't help take her mind off of her anger.

"Idiot," She grumbles, smoothing out her skirt as she stares at the ceiling. A fly buzzes past her ear, and she swats at it lazily. After everything he did, he's mad at me? He should have known better! She closes her eyes, covering her face with her hands and rolling onto her side. You should have come, he says. How was I supposed to do that when I had no idea where you were! Not to mention, you know my mom keeps a super close eye on me! It's not like I could have just left! She rolls over again, facing the wall.

She claimed the bedroom for herself while looking for the lever that Frey had mentioned. It's one of four on the ship, just big enough to fit a bed, a small dresser, and a trunk. The walls are completely bare, except for the lever, which looks like a light switch hidden in the corner. The dresser is made of dark stained wood, with a simple lamp on top. There's enough free space in the middle of the room for Melody to lay down and spread her arms, so it doesn't feel claustrophobic.

I need to figure out how to heal his face, she thinks bitterly. Even if he's a jerk. If I can heal them, hopefully he won't be so angry. And I need to help get his vision back, too. Ugh, why did he have to rebel and get himself hurt like that! She grabs her pillow, slamming it over her face and letting out a loud, long groan. It's like I don't know who he is anymore! Has it really been that long? Are four years long enough for him to change completely? She pulls the pillow down, hugging it to her chest. There are two wet spots where her eyes were, but she ignores them, refusing to accept that she's crying. Or maybe I'm the one that's changed. Did I really agree to help him hurt people?

"Aww, looks like someone could use a tissue," someone says, making Melody jump. She stifles a scream, her eyes flashing amber as she sits up. The pillow flops to the floor, and magical symbols appear on her palms. The monkey-faced man grins at her, holding out a stained handkerchief. He's wearing the same monkey-design pajamas and robe as before, but his hairy feet are bare.

"How did you get here?" Melody hisses darkly. "I'm not in the mood for games."

"Ouch, it went that bad, huh?" He hums, plopping down on the bed next to her. Melody jumps to her feet, extending two fingers threateningly.

"Get out," she says, feeling power building in her fingers. The man lays back, folding his hands behind his head like a pillow.

"This is pretty comfy! It's been so long since I had a nice place to nap! You have no idea how uncomfortable it is, sleeping under a rock." Melody growls, grabbing his shirt. She tries to yank him off the bed, but he doesn't move an inch. "So, trouble in paradise? I would have thought you'd be happy - you're finally reunited with your long-lost friend!" He puckers his lips, making kiss sounds at her and fluttering his eyelashes. Melody backs away, gritting her teeth in anger. "Though, I guess those scars would kind of ruin the mood."

"Shut up," Melody hisses, her power welling up inside of her. She closes her eyes, chanting quietly. She weaves spells together, layer after layer until the bed is wrapped in a thick black mist. She spends five minutes building the seal; three binding spells, with a dozen layers of enhancements and magical traps wrapped around it. She takes a step back, admiring her work. She knows it's excessive, but at the same time, it feels good. "I call this The Pit. You're not getting out until you tell me who you are and what you want with me." She declares, crossing her arms. "And feel free to take as long as you want - I can always find another room."

"Wow, this is pretty good!" His voice echoes from beyond the mist. Melody's smile drops when the mist suddenly shatters, leaving no trace of the magic it took to create. "Anyway, if you're done with the jokes-" He begins, waving his hand casually. Melody throws her arms out, pushing everything she can into remaking the spell. She binds him, enhances it three times, binds those spells, creates a magical trap, enhances it all twice, binds it all again, and keeps building until the bubble of black mist takes up nearly the entire room. Twenty minutes later, dripping with sweat, she lets her arms drop back to her sides.

"As I was saying, you can stay in there until-" The mist shatters again before she can even finish. The man lays on the bed lazily, his legs over the edge and arms spread out at his sides. He slowly sits up, yawns, and digs his finger into his ear.

"I'm getting bored," He snorts, his eyes fluttering closed. "I can come back if you want some time to make a bigger one."

"That's the biggest spell I've ever cast!" Melody snaps, flattening herself against the wall. She gropes for the doorknob, watching him carefully. Clearly, this isn't someone to mess with.

"Well, that's disappointing. How are you supposed to beat the Heavenly King like that? I mean-" He raises his hand, waving a scroll of papyrus lazily. "If it's this easy to take, you might as well turn around now." Melody freezes, her eyes drifting to her handbag, tucked neatly under the bed. She flares her power again, trying to look intimidating as she raises her hands.

"What do you want?"

"Not this," he says, tossing the treaty. Melody scrambles to catch it, clutching it to her chest when she does. "At least, not here. I want you to bring it to the Shinto." He explains, leaning back on his hands. "See, we're on the same side! Our interests align - for now."

"Forgive me for not cheering," Melody growls, checking to make sure the treaty isn't damaged. "If you're so sure we're on the same side, why are you hiding your name?" The man raises an eyebrow, crossing his legs again.

"I said our interests align - not our goals. But I'm not your enemy!" He grins, showing off his unnaturally long canines. "The guy after you is waaaay less important than me. By a long shot."

"And let me guess, you won't tell me his name either," Melody huffs.

"Now you're getting it!" He says, tapping his nose. "Did you prepare for the heavenly king, by the way? He'll probably be arriving pretty soon." Melody growls, stomping her foot.

"I'm not doing anything you say until you tell me what's going on," She snaps. The man sighs, laying on his side and resting his chin in his palm.

"That's a shame. You'll never reach the west with that attitude. You should try being more Zen." He picks at his ear again as Melody glares at him, silence hanging in the air. After a couple of minutes, his eyes pop open. He grins at her, his eyes all but glowing with the colour of blood. "You sure you don't want to listen to me?"

"Are you going to tell me who you are and how you know me?" She hisses. The man shrugs, rolling onto his back.

"Oh well. You may want to check that." He says. Melody sighs, gripping the treaty tightly.

"I'm not falling for-" Suddenly the boat shifts, and she stumbles, catching herself on the dresser. She keeps a firm grip on the treaty, stumbling backwards when it lurches again.

"Oh no, we're under attack," The man says sarcastically, waving his hands in the air. "If only some great sage could have warned us! We could have prepared!" He grins, folding his hands behind his head again. "Oh, I'd be careful not to get caught in his tower if I were you. You'll never get out."

"Will you shut up!?" Melody snaps, throwing the door open. She dashes into the hall, glaring back at him. "You better not be here when I get back." She hisses before racing up the stairs. The man cackles, flailing his feet in the air.

"Oh, I'm so scared! Good luck, try to not get killed!"