Letting Off Steam

Hope bolted out of the cafeteria with her hands balled into tight fists. She needed to let off some steam.

She couldn't turn and run off into the woods in case she accidentally went too far and missed class. So, she did the next best thing.

She went into the gym and pounded the punching bag for a half hour.

'Josie's her own person, she can talk to whoever she wants to,' Hope thought to herself.

But another part of herself told her Josie was hers. How could Penelope think she could just ask Josie out on a study date like that?

Punch after punch, her bare knuckles landed on the bag.

She punched it so hard that the bag flew off of the chains and slammed into Raf who had just walked in to start his morning workout.

"Damn, Hope," he exclaimed impressed. "What's up with you?"

"Penelope Park asked Josie to study later."

"And?" he raised his eyebrows. "Do you not trust your girlfriend or something."

"I trust Josie, but my wolf can't handle Penelope being alone with her. You wouldn't get it," Hope shook her head. 

"That's cold Hope, even for you," his voice was laced with anger. "You know I haven't dated anyone since I triggered my werewolf curse, since Cassie."

"I'm sorry, Raf. That's not how I meant it," Hope had only meant he hadn't experienced wolf urges toward a partner, and she felt bad for how it came across. "I know what it's like to lose the people you love."

"I know," Raf was still clearly hurt. "Hey, uh, don't you have class now or something?"

Hope looked up at the clock and realized he was right. Class started in 2 minutes.

Without another word, Hope ran out of the gym.

"Goodbye to you too, Hope," Raf was left standing alone.

"What is it with you trying to sabotage my relationship with Hope?" Josie was extremely annoyed with her sister yet again.

"I'm trying to protect you. Did you not see the way she grabbed your hand?"

"She stopped when she realized what she was doing. Can't you see she's trying to work on her issues?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if her way of working on them was going out to find Penelope and beating the shit out of her for talking to you."

"Don't be dramatic," Josie rolled her eyes.

They took their seats and sat in silence. Josie willfully ignored Lizzie by staring at and looking preoccupied with her nails.

Mr. Williams walked in a few minutes later and began taking attendance.

Josie's eyebrows furrowed when she realized Hope still was not in class like she said she'd be.

"Penelope's not in class either," Lizzie leaned over and whispered into Josie's ear. "Just saying."

Josie shot her sister a look and then crossed her arms, slouching into her chair.

Just as Mr. Williams was finishing up attendance, the door flung open and in walked Hope.

Her face was slightly red, her breathing was unsteady. And most concerning of all, her knuckles were dark red, almost purple, and her skin was slightly cracked above the bone.

Hope looked around the room self-consciously as she walked in and took her seat next to Josie.

"What happened to your hands?" Josie asked in concern.

"Don't worry about it, babe," Hope assured her. "I just let off some steam."

That didn't ease Josie at all. What if Lizzie was right? What if Hope had hurt Penelope for asking her to study?