Chapter 1: For one night

Some scenes are for certain kinds of people, and when you aren't one of those people, the exclusion could sting like the scorching sun on your skin. This is exactly how I felt at my big sister's business ball. Big businesses hold one every year where all corporate companies in the city get together and discuss business deals in a fancy environment. It's all a sham if you ask me to bring up stocks and bring down competition.

Tonight, I was my sister's plus one.

I could feel that I looked out of place as I grabbed a martini from the passing drink tray. Josephine, my sister, was nowhere to be found, so I stood there in the middle of the very large ballroom, trying my best to not look uncomfortable. Just as I took a sip from the drink in my hands, I noticed all heads turning to the very large golden staircase, so out of instinct, I turned my head as well.

A woman in a meroon pant suit was descending the stairs. Her brown shoulder-length hair fell to her naturally tanned skin. Her eyes were dark, and with one glance, they caught mine before looking around the rest of the room.

She must be the host, was my first thought.

In her hand was a glass of champagne. The entire room fell to silence and she smiled, revealing the dimple she had on her left cheek, "I'd like to thank everyone who made it tonight," she began, "and Mr Daniels for making this evening possible," she gestured her glass to the direction where Mr Daniels, a grey headed chubby, short man was standing, he raised his glass in response before the lady continued, "Everyone, have fun and don't get to drunk, we can't have a repeat of the Christmas party, ey John," The room filled with laughter and the man who I believe is John, swatted his hand around laughing.

As soon as her announcement was over, she turned back around and disappeared into the crowd that was standing around the top of the staircase. I figured to myself that I should try finding Josey, so I went toward the direction of the staircase, where I last saw her. I couldn't see her in the crowd of suits and cocktail dresses, and I felt my chest clog up. I needed to be away from the crowd. I grabbed the first doorknob I saw, and it led me into an office like room. The sliding door was open, and I headed there and found the balcony.

Finally, peace.

I leaned on the balcony and caught a breath of air looking down at all the expensive cars in the driveway. How am I even related to Josephine? She has the brains, beauty, and money, and here I am, a struggling artist.

While I was caught up in my thoughts, I heard a voice from behind me, "Can I help you?"

*TO BE CONTINUED*