Part 1

A week before Valt took his life - before the world lost its light. Shu had just been saved from his Red Eye phase, and everyone seemed to have accepted what had happened and continued on as though nothing much had happened. Sure, it was a big event that happened, but there was no point in dwelling on the past. Right?

Valt Aoi - a boy known across the world. He's the wonder boy who stopped the snake pit. He stood up to the challenge when no one else could. The one person who couldn't fully let go. Not that anyone knew that. He was still the happiest person to inhabit the Earth. But depression is a deadly thing, and it can strike hard when you're least expecting it.

Shu Kurenai - the boy who almost single-handedly took down the world's top bladers but was inevitably saved by his best friend. He was plagued with nightmares. What he did haunts him almost every waking second. It was soul-destroying. But he continued to pretend that he was alright, because what else could he do?

The two of them trained in the Raging Bulls, everyone else now in bed. Shu had taken over the team and had vowed that there wouldn't be a repeat of events. Valt had vowed that he wouldn't let anyone get that low ever again. But there was something else brewing between the two - almost like they had started to hate each other. 

"Hey, Valt?" Shu asked, watching the two beys collide in the stadium. All Valt did was hum in response. "Why'd you still hang out with me after everything that's happened?"

His eyes looked up from the stadium and towards the wonder boy. Valt shrugged as if it were obvious. "You're my best friend and you went through a rough time. Why would I leave you like that?"

This took the albino by surprise, and he raised an eyebrow. "That's it?"

"Well, yeah, what were you expecting? Other than it's my job, that's the reason I saved you." Valt stared at him, confused by his conflict. What more of a reason could he need?

Shu watched as the two beys were flung out of the stadium and hit the floor. "I don't know... it just wasn't that, I guess."

The two bladers picked up their beys and continued to train in silence. One was upset that there wasn't a deeper meaning to why he was saved, and the other was afraid that he had done a terrible thing and that he was going to lose his best friend.

"Hey, Shu?" Valt spoke up, breaking the awkward silence.

"Yeah, what's up?" Shu looked up at the blunette

"Promise me you'll never leave me." He picked up Valtryek, tears in his eyes. "Promise me you'll never do something like that again."

Shu gave him a small smile, picking up Spryzen. "I promise, buddy. I would never hurt you like that again."

They tapped their beys against each other, sealing the promise. One can't leave, and the other is glad that he can. Now he knows he might be able to last a little longer without having the fear of his best friend leaving him. But he was also aware that it might sting everyone else a little more. The wonder boy is out of miracles to perform. He's almost at the end of the road.