Part 3

A healthy five days left. Will anyone be able to change his fate?

Valt sat in his room at BC Sol and stared at his bey. Valtryek glinted in concern for her blader, noticing the change in the wonder boy. Valt smiled a very sad smile. He had already accepted his fate. He just wondered when he should do it.

The door to the dorm room opened and Rantaro walked in, glancing at the blunette. He wasn't sure what was going on with his best friend, he just knew the boy was acting off, and he didn't like it. None of them did. But, who in their right mind liked change? "Hey, Valt. Kris wants to speak to you. She's in her office."

Valt looked at Rantaro and nodded, his eyes dead and his entire body shaking, for whatever reason, as he pocketed Valtryek and walked towards Kris' office. This would probably be about how much he had been slacking off recently. The truth was he had lost his love for beyblade. He had lost it for a while now. The wonder boy had already started losing his spark. They had little time left. He couldn't pretend like this forever. Even the wonder boy had his limits.

He stopped outside the door to Kris's office and knocked on the door, waiting to be called in, having already anticipated her bad mood and the probable lecture from both herself and Free, who usually got roped into it. When he was called in, he entered, not as nervously as he usually would. This raised a few flags for Kris. She glanced at Free, who was sitting - or rather, laying - in the corner of the room. Free shrugged but kept his eyes trained on Valt. There was worry in his eyes as he watched the walking miracle.

"You've been slacking off in practice, I've noticed, and honestly, I'm starting to worry," Kris said, her eyes surveying the Valkyrie blader, who had a slouched posture and tired eyes. He looked worse than Free, which was saying something, as they usually looked like polar opposites. It showed how bad he was getting. How little time he had left. How much they had to do to save him. But, it was too little too late. Just like always. It was sad, really. He had so much to live for.

He gave them a bright smile. A smile they had grown so used to him wearing. Something that had reassured them all, even on their worst days, that everything was going to be okay. Why? Because it was the wonder boy. He could do anything - fix anything. And if he couldn't, no one could. "I'm fine. Just had a rough week. I promise I'll be in tip-top form tomorrow!"

"Liar." Free piped up, and Kris scowled at him. He was never one to beat around the bush, and it was at times that it became blatantly obvious as his comments were severely inappropriate for the given context. Kris was used to them, because they were all she knew, but no one else was, and he seemed to forget that constantly. Or, he just didn't care enough to filter himself around others. 

"Free!" Kris scolded him, but Free ignored her and stood up, walking towards the wonder boy. His dark eyes narrowed on the small boy, who usually visibly shook at the challenge, but instead stood strong and confident. Another red flag. Another reason for concern. Another way he had given up caring.

"Remember, I'm your captain as well as your friend. You can trust me with anything." Free said, and these random words of kindness took Valt by surprise. Free wasn't the kind of guy to show outward kindness like this. Sure, he wasn't a horrible person, but he just never seemed to care too much about anything.

Valt's smile broadened, almost to reassure all three of them. He didn't need to burden another soul with his problems. He was painfully aware of the damage he was already causing, and he hated it more than anyone. "I promise you guys, I'm fine. What reason do I have to lie?"

The wonder boy is reaching the end of his rope, they all know that. Now all that's left is to tie the rope and h@ng himself.