Chapter One

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

My hand slammed on my alarm clock angrily. I sat up and yawned, stretching with a satisfied tremor.

Excited waves of light danced into my room through sheer turquoise curtains. They spilled onto my grassy carpet like water, reflecting in my mirror and illuminating my plants. Delicate fern leaves glowed softly along with the silky petals of multicoloured orchids.

I had countless high shelves of them all around my room. Flowers dangled lazily in the air, sturdy leaves reaching towards the ceiling. I watched while my automatic misters awoke and rained down sparkling showers. The water collected in small droplets along the leaves, petals, and stems. The hazy light of morning made it look like dancing stardust.

"Good morning, everyone," I greeted my plants. I knew that sometimes, when they weren't too busy with their own thoughts, plants could hear things. I often told them little hellos, goodbyes, and secrets I dared not reveal to anyone else. "I'll be gone for awhile. Starting to-Day, I'm off on vacation!"

I got up and passed my armor on the way to the door, like every morning now. After the whole mess from the Upset died down, I went through everything I'd collected from the war. I bought a little stand for my armor and sword, as well as a shelf for smaller things: a piece of jade, a cell key, the governors' medals.

I patted the shoulder plates, pausing only a moment before going to wash up in the bathroom.

"Breakfast, honey?" Mum called from downstairs.

I could almost taste the sweet, creamy aroma of pancakes. I sauntered sleepily through the hall and into the kitchen, where my mother was nearly done preparing the morning meal. "Set the table for me."

"Right away," I said eagerly, getting to work so the meal would come faster.

"ROXIE!!!" a high, alert voice suddenly screamed from outside.

How is he always so energetic in the morning?

I rushed to the window in the living room and threw it open. There wasn't much space separating the warehouse from Aunt Rebeccah's bakery, and Derek's window was right across the way from the living room.

My cousin threw two crammed duffel bags to me, then climbed over. He was fully dressed in his favorite outfit, which he claimed Kira said complimented him the best. It was yellow, of course.

"Are those pancakes I smell?!" he exclaimed, running into the kitchen. I followed him, laughing. "THEY ARE!!!"

"I hope you haven't had breakfast yet, starlight," Mum said with a smile.

"Oh, I did."

"Hm?"

"But I could still eat a whole... A whole dragon!"

"What did you have?"

"Doughnuts," Derek answered while he stacked a plate a mile-high. He added a lake of syrup and a matching amount of powdered sugar. "Five of 'em."

My mother laughed, shaking her head. "I don't know how you keep your figure eating like that, young man."

I started stacking my plate, too, but Mum shot me a nasty look. I halved my portion.
"My stars, Rox. You eat like a mouse!" Derek observed sympathetically.

I sighed, eyes drifting sorely to my thighs and belly. They were generous, to put it kindly. My mother always reminded me of that, even if she didn't say it straight-out.

Mum changed the subject. "You all packed?"

"Mm-hm!"

"How about you, honey?"