Chapter Eight

The next few Days were chaos.

The very morning after our arrival, Kassandra Green held a meeting with all of her officials, mayors, and workers. She had to fight for a few of them to get on board, but by the next Day it was decided that the beings of darkness were welcome in Idyll and would receive a home by the start of Autumn.

Mike, Vincent, Liz, Quinn, Parry, Karter, and I were invited to a press conference that very Day where Governor Green gave the news to Idyll - dressed to the nines.

"My fellow Idyllians, I have called this conference to announce the arrival and welcoming of a once-lost species: the beings of darkness. Michael Hughes, whom you all are familiar with, recently and courageously traveled to the Void and found a hidden island of obsidian, where his people have been trapped for twenty five generations. He found a way to bring them all here, nearly killing himself in the process, and came asking for my - our - help."

There was a pretty large crowd of beings at the conference. Reporters stared back at us with wide eyes while cameras flashed. No one spoke.

"I ask you, citizens of Idyll," Kassandra continued, smiling, "To welcome these beings with open arms and kind words. I also ask that you listen to what Michael has to say."

Governor Green turned to Mike. He gulped, looked at me nervously, and began. "Hello... Most of you know me, I think, a-a-and have for a while. Recently, I found out that I am a descendant of Michael Black, who helped defeat Michellean Black," Mike paused. "I mean, the D-D-Dark Witch."

The crowd went into an uproar, but Governor Green quieted them down so Mike could keep going.

"History," Mike went on, "Is not what has been told to us. As I say these w-words, G-Governor Green has a team going over ancient scrolls and artefacts that, i-i-if Danika Ray had her way, would never have seen the light of Day. These artefacts can explain the disappearance of my people so long ago... A-A-And I don't think the explanation will be very easy for beings to stomach. I-It sure wasn't easy for me."

A reporter stood up and shouted, "Michael, how did you get so many beings here all the way from the Western Ocean?"

Another asked, "Are you responsible for these beings of darkness?"

"What does Danika Ray have to do with any of this?" (This voice was particularly angry. Danika was the founder of modern society.)

Mike pursed his lips, looking down. "I'm sorry, I know this is... I-I-It's a lot. I'm trying my best to tell you-"

"-What about history is false?"

"How did you get to the Void? It's impossible!"

"Who are you, really?"

"QUIET! PLEASE!" Mike exploded, standing up from his seat. I could see shadows pulsing around his fists. He looked terrified. "P-Please, let me speak."

A hush fell over the room once again.

"I will start at the beginning, with the first breath a being ever took at the Dawn of time."

Mike stuttered through the true history of Hiraeth, going into detail about the beings of darkness and the Dark Ages, and explaining how he came to discover the obsidian island. Then he explained that he wanted the beings of darkness to finally have a home after they had been banished for so long.

The whole story stunted the reporters. Only one, a slender, praying mantis-like woman, could manage to say, "What do you have in mind?"

"Uhm... K-Kassandra?" Mike asked the governor.

"My officials and I have already agreed on a land in which Michael's people can start a new life." Governor Green paused for effect, smiling as always. "Plans for a new city are being made as we speak - a city Southwest of here, on the border of the Middle and Western Realms."