Chapter Five

Mike returned the smile even more brilliantly, giving a gentle nod.

"Michael!!!" the boy screamed, practically jumping into Mike's arms.

"W-Whoa!" Mike blurted in confusion. "D-Do I know you?"

The boy let go and apologized. "Sorry, no. I would not expect you to. But I know you very well." When the boy spoke, he rolled his r's ever-so-slightly and almost used a v for w's. His n's were short and exaggerated. He said I like aie. The way he said Michael was strange, too: he pronounced the chael part like kyeel.

Mike didn't seem to have words for whatever was going on. Neither did I, or any of the others. But, stars, did the boy have a lot to say.

He examined Mike closely, touching his face and fluffing his hair. "How did you get here? You look great! Are you tired from your journey? Would you like some food, maybe? Some clothes?" The boy pinched the side of Mike's medical gown and went, tsk tsk tsk. "I would not call this clothes, Michael."

Mike could only stammer, "W-Who are you..?"

The boy suddenly stood up straight and smiled. "Sorry, I get ahead of myself. My name is Vincent."

"Oh. N-Nice to meet you, Vincent," Mike said, laughing.

"Your friends?" Vincent asked, pointing to the gang and I.

Mike's face lit up more. "Oh, yeah! Go ahead and introduce yourselves, guys."

Vincent seemed delighted to meet every one of us.

Except for Derek.

When my cousin held out his hand for him to shake, Vincent pursed his lips and looked at Mike warily. "You are... friends with him?"

Mike nodded slowly. "What's wrong?"

"He glows."

"He's a b-b-being of light!"

Vincent looked Derek up and down quizzically. "Hmm... He does not seem very strong... Considering..."

"Considering what?" Derek asked.

Vincent suddenly smiled and bowed. "I am sorry, I am not able to shake your hand. It would harm me."

Mike gasped. "Y-You're a being of darkness!"

Vincent twirled and yelled, "So are you!"

"I finally met another one!"

Vincent grabbed Mike's hands, jumping up and down with excitement. "Prepare to meet many more, Michael Hughes!"

Mike looked like he could explode, grinning from ear to ear.

"Come, come, bring your friends!" Vincent exclaimed as he pulled Mike towards the doorway. "We have been waiting for you!"

What?

We were taken through a pitch-black hall and into a grand opening - a cave. Mike cleared the shadows to reveal hundreds of beings of darkness all around. They emerged from smaller caves and halls, running down stairways, peeking out of windows, grabbing one another to come greet us.

Their home was covered in intricate carvings, patterns like swirls of shadow. The cave was decorated with obsidian tree leaves similar to the ones outside. They sported navy blue flowers that looked like silk.

It was a mini village, with caves instead of buildings. I could see cave shops - a tailor and sellers of goods and a beauty parlor. There were places where children gathered to play. There was even a pool.