Chapter Three

Starscend ended by Thirday. The sky became filled with dark, heavy clouds - clouds that drenched the lagoon waters in a gloomy atmosphere and a gentle drizzle. With the Sun hiding away, Mike could finally go to the beach.

Guess the Bright's storms are good for something.

"Have you ever been to the beach, Troy?" Mike asked our friend. We were walking down a ways from the vacation home to the sandiest part of the lagoon. Everyone was decked out in swimsuits and flowy overclothes.

Troy shook his head. "I've only gone swimming in pools."

"M-Me, too."

It didn't surprise me that Mike hadn't been to the ocean. He was kept in containment for a good portion of his life, and he lived in the middle of a snowy forest.

"You're gonna have so much fun," Serenity told them excitedly. "It's like an endless pool, full of life and colour... I love it."

Frances signed to Serenity, "So do I."

Serenity thought for a second, then sloppily signed, "Ocean is awesome."

Frances laughed. Over the past week, she and I had been teaching Serenity sign language. It wasn't easy, but she was smart, and starting to get the hang of it. She had most of the alphabet down, and could sign everyone's name.

"You guys want to set up here?" Parry asked. We were coming upon his "family spot," which was under a large palm tree where the sand wasn't too loose. The slow morning waves were about ten feet away.

Mike threw his towel over the sand in the shade and sat down. "Perfect."

He was quite the spectacle. His entire body was covered by a black surfing suit. He wore sunglasses, a full face of spf 100 Sunblock, and a bucket hat.

In case the Sun came back out, we made sure to stake the umbrellas. Then we took out the sandwich picnic. They were glittery, made with the most exquisite ingredients: rare diamond turkey breast, blue romaine lettuce, three types of cheese, and pink avocado slices.

After we ate, Serenity and Aka began to make a commotion.

Aka was holding her several yards above the water, far away from the rest of us. He let go on her command and she came roaring down with a splash. When she hit the water, a million droplets shaped like butterflies soared in a spiral around her as she emerged riding a water dragon, racing towards the sand.

"Who wants a ride?!" she called.

Derek, Kira, Frances, and Parry all hopped onto the water dragon's back excitedly, cheering and screaming while they flew through the water.

Aka sat down next to Mike and I. "Hmph. That dragon's not even real."

Mike laughed. "Jealous?"

"No!"

I wanted to join my friends, but it took a long time to get Mike out from under the tree.

"The clouds are so black I think it might rain. You'll be fine!" I encouraged, taking his hand and lifting him from the ground.

Mike took a deep breath, nodding. "W-W-Well... Okay."

"And you practically bathed in Sunblock, so I'd say you're good," Aka teased. "Dunno how you manage, you're a might peely-wally."

I led us towards the water, slowly at first.

Mike's steps quickened as a cold breeze swirled around us. We stumbled into the water, laughing at its cold greeting. The salty waves lapped against me welcomingly.