Chapter Fifteen

"You what?!" Vincent screamed, nearly dropping his potion.

I hugged my brother's pillow, grinning from ear to ear. "I asked him on a date!"

It was Thirday of the next week. Everyone was counting the Days until the year-anniversary of the Upset, but not me. I was counting the Days until Septday, when Mike and I would go on our very first date.

Vincent held his cheeks. "Ohoho! What're you going to do?"

"First we're gonna eat at a fancy pasta place, then we'll see a motion picture."

"How romantic..."

"I know!!!"

"Any, uh... Smoochin' gonna go down?" Vincent teased, raising an eyebrow.

I threw the pillow at him. "Oh, stop that. Mike doesn't even know how to 'smooch.'"

"Oh yes he does."

I tried not to laugh. "How would you know?"

"Oh, you know. Us beings of darkness are known for the way we kiss."

"HAHAHAHA!!!" I doubled over with laughter.

"And you guys were sure cuddling on Obsidian Island. The shadows told me."

"No!"

"You shared a blanket! Just saying."

"He was sad."

"Twice."

"I was sad, too!"

"Whatever you say, Roxie. But I know you wanna smooch him."

I twirled my hair. "Maybe I do, maybe I don't."

Vincent folded his hands under his chin, batting his eyelashes mockingly. "I know you can't stop thinking about his fluffy hair, or his icy blue eyes, or his proud chest."

"Have you been spying on me?!"

"You should really stop talking to your flowers."

"You're unbelievable."

"KIDS! TIME FOR DINNER!" Mum called.

We raced each other to the kitchen, fighting for "the seat" (which used to be my seat). It had the best view of the television.

"What were you two talking about in there?"

I tried to cover Vincent's mouth, but he dodged. "Oh, just Roxie's smooching situation."

Mum went scarlet. "W-What?"

"She told me all about how she wants to kiss Mike on Septday!" he teased, fending me off with one arm and reaching for the salad with the other.

I was fuming. "I did NOT!"

Mum just laughed. "It's okay to want to kiss him, Roxie. That's usually how Love goes."

I sank into my seat (not the good one, sadly). "Muuuuum..."

"I mean it! I remember one time-"

"-MUM!!!"

"Hahaha! Okay, okay. I'll drop it."

Vincent laughed. "Roxie, how were those blankets back on Obsidian Island?"

I kicked him underneath the table. "Very soft, thanks."

Mum gave us a weird look, shrugged, and went on eating.

#

"I dunno, guys... I've this sinkin' feeling about to-Day. I failed my math test, I can't get rid of my wings, and my hair's way messier than usual," Aka complained in Idyll history.