Chapter 7 - Alliance, part 1

Draft #39 - Alliance 

The Local Group Intergalactic Alliance is comprised of intelligent species belonging to, primarily, the Andromeda Galaxy, though, there are a few species from the outer reaches of the Milky Way and Triangulum - to borrow a few names from Earth. Ever since traveling into space, the Vokkrus have been a part of that group. There are a few rules that we must abide by, and while it had rankled my species in the first few decades, we eventually settled neatly into our role within the galaxy. 

As the name suggests, we are, first and foremost, an alliance. We assist each other when needed. Usually, everyone keeps to themselves, but occasionally, we have meetings in the center of Andromeda. 

I enjoy these meetings; I love meeting new people. Seeing all the different species that have evolved from different conditions is fascinating. Not to mention, it's a chance to get away from the dreary atmosphere of my own planet. I love my job, don't get me wrong, but any chance to take a vacation from my duties is one that I grab with both hands. 

***

Electing Kohgrash as the ambassador for Earth and A1-308 turned out to be trickier than he thought it'd be. 

There were issues about his age, of all things; apparently, a human of 22, almost 23, was too young to be considered an ambassador between their planets. Rulshkka thought it ridiculous. Kohgrash had all the training he needed from that school of his. The only real thing he lacked was experience, but he would be getting that from the job, would he not? It was not like Rulshkka would let him do something absurd to jeopardize his planet, anyway! 

Not to mention, the other options offered for ambassador - because the human would have to be able to get along with Vokkrus and other alien species - were less than pleasant. At least, that's what Kohgrash told him. 

"Ugh, what the fuck. This guy sucks," he growled in that endearing way of his, slapping down the papers angrily. Rulshkka looked up from his own set of papers at the sound, tilting his head. 

"What's wrong with that one?" he asked. He had thought that candidate one of the better ones. 

"Look," he jabbed a finger at the paper, under some line of text Rulshkka was too far away to read. Still, he looked. "It says right here that he's not interested in building rapport with you." 

Rulshkka frowned. He did not remember reading that. He held out his hand, and Kohgrash tossed him the papers. Remarkably, they stayed in one sheaf, though that might've been thanks to some silly little thing they called paperclips. He peered at the text Kohgrash had pointed to. 

Candidate states... space-faring dream... military background... blah blah blah. Rulshkka squinted, but he could not find what had upset Kohgrash so. He told him as much. 

"Vok'Rul," oh, how Rulshkka had missed that string of syllables falling out of Kohgrash's mouth, "He's just interested in stealing your weapons and taking them back to his country. No one puts space travel as a dream of theirs to a job about politics."

Rulshkka raised his brows, peering at the paper. He supposed that it did seem a bit suspicious now that it was pointed out to him. He huffed, "I believe you, Kohgrash. Frankly, I see little point in all this. When Rukka goes to Earth next, she will simply state that we have found a reliable candidate."

Kohgrash laughed, something dry and bitter. "Who, me? Vok'Rul, that shit will never fly." 

Rulshkka tried wrapping his head around shit flying before he realized it was probably another one of his metaphors. Still, he wanted to get that reproachful look off of Kohgrash's face. "Rukka is very convincing, you know. Even if they think you have no experience-"