Chapter 24 - Reluctance

Draft #127 - Istrione

Water planets are not something that I see often. There is the very real fact that I, simply put, do not travel outside of my system. The only places I go are the Core, and more recently, Earth.

Earth is a water planet, despite what claims Kohgrash has. There is so much water on that planet that I can scarcely believe it. There are different kinds of water on it. Most of Earth's water is undrinklable for the humans. Baffling.

Istrione is not somewhere I have been. The water planet hosts thousands of flora and fauna. It is one of the most diverse planets in the galaxy, coming only second to the Montets' planet, Kuy. I would love to go one day, to both, if only to see things I could never imagine on my own.

***

"Sooo... why can't you come along?" Kohgrash asked skeptically, squinting at him accusingly over his tiny computer.

"Well, he didn't invite me, did he?" Rulshkka sniffed, tapping slowly at his own computer. His other arm was currently occupied by Vi'mrakka. The hatchling snoozed peacefully. It was rather cute, even if it made finishing his paperwork slow.

"Well, no... but!" Kohgrash said enthusiastically. The hatchling didn't even stir. One of the most important things that had been emphasized in all the parenting books Rulshkka read was to be as noisy as possible around your hatchling. It'd get them used to unexpected noises. Rulshkka didn't think that'd be a problem for Vi'mrakka. He was rather unperturbed about most anything. "It says I can bring as many guests as I like."

Rulshkka snorted, glancing at the human. He looked so excited that he had to quickly look away or else he'd give in immediately. "The last time Avo and I spoke, he was rather irritated that I had domesticated your species."

Kohgrash waved his hand dismissively. "Whatever. You guys were friends, weren't you?"

"I wouldn't say that, necessarily-"

"Great! Then, you should come along. You guys are friends; you'll be able to make up," Kohgrash cut in, reaching over his tiny computer to scramble against the wooden desk for his phone. "I'll invite the Earth ambassadors, too. This is a diplomatic visit, I guess."

"Let me read the blasted memo," Rulshkka demanded, exasperated.

Kohgrash grunted in acknowledgment, tapping away at his phone for an annoyingly long time before sending the memo over. Rulshkka opened it with a huff.

[MEMO;; TO: Kohgrash of A1-308, Viktor of Earth :: FROM: Avo of Istrione]

[Esteemed Kohgrash,

It is my greatest honor to extend an invitation for your attendance at Istrione's grandest celebration of culture, the Axquog.

The Axquog is held at Aqkopolis, the capital of my planet. Please find the attached file with further information.

You are welcome to bring any guests you like.

Sincerely,

Iyo Avo]

There were two files attached, and Rulshkka curiously opened the one titled 'Addendum.'

[Kohgrash,

I would very much enjoy your presence at this decade's Axquog. There'll be good food and greater company. While Zzir is with us no longer, there are many other friends that I wish you to meet. I hope I have found a friend in you, too. I would like to see you again.