Chapter 38 - Plan Inaction

Draft #257 - Planning

My plans never seem to work. They worked before I met that wretched little creature, Kohgrash. I blame him.

Still, I've a good feeling. A nervous feeling, as not everything is under my control, but... perhaps it will work.

I need to have faith.

***

"Right," Rulshkka repeated for the tenth time that minute. His claws meticulously groomed Kohgrash's mess of fur as his tail twitched with fervor. "Right."

"Left," Kohgrash replied. "Up, down, sideways. Relax, dude."

They were hurtling toward what was certain doom. Rulshkka could not relax.

"I am still uncertain," Rulshkka stated. "Did we need to bring him?"

Vi'mrakka, who had now delved into walking much to Kohgrash's delight and Rulshkka's bane, toddled over to Shul and several other security guards. Shul held out his hands to steady the hatchling and lunged forward to catch him when he tipped over to one side precariously. The guard awkwardly set him back on his feet.

"Yeah," Kohgrash said, staring out the window and watching the occasional star flash by. His yellow eyes were stark against his skin. At the sound of his voice, Vi'mrakka immediately turned around and waddled toward him. Rulshkka watched him intently. "I don't know why, really. Spirits just said he'd come in handy. And to trust them or whatever."

Rulshkka really hoped the Spirits hadn't said it like that. His son wasn't some tool to use for their own gain.

"Ohra, Ohra, Ohrassss," Vi'mrakka hissed and warbled, grabbing onto Kohgrash's pants to keep himself upright. He put his arms up. "Uppp."

Kohgrash grinned down at him, swooping him up in an exaggerated arc that made him squeal. "How's my little man doing?"

Vi'mrakka babbled and said, "Hiii."

"Hello, hello, hello," Kohgrash cooed back, pressing his face against the hatchling's. Vi'mrakka grabbed fistfuls of his fur, and the human winced. "Ouch," he said in Vokkran. "That hurts."

"Ow?" Vi'mrakka asked, letting go of his fur and petting it instead. "Owowowow."

"That feels nice," Kohgrash told him. Irritation flashed over his face for a second, and Rulshkka wondered what his father had commented. He's been getting quieter and quieter, according to Kohgrash. Rulshkka just hoped that he'd soon go back to the Spirits. Or wherever souls go when they die. He supposed Kohgrash would know.

He tried not to think about that.

"Landing soon, Your Majesty," the pilot called back to him. "Coming out of the Drive soon."

"Brace, my little Kohgrash," Rulshkka told him. Kohgrash reluctantly pulled away from the window and sat down. He held Vi'mrakka close to his chest.

They dipped from the Drive and the Core came into view. The Kindred whirled behind it, slow and steady. Kohgrash made an interested humming noise and looked at Vi'mrakka, who was staring at the black hole, absolutely enraptured.

Before they exited the ship, Rulshkka turned toward his fleet of guards - they had to use a bigger ship to transport everyone as he was loathe to go somewhere in the presence of Outkasts with his son without countless guards - and spoke.

"Should my son get hurt in any way shape or form," he said lowly, "I will gut you, wash your insides with saltwater, and feed them to you. I'll toss you into the Kindred after snapping every single bone in your body. I will make sure you never make it off this establishment alive. You will protect my son. Before Kohgrash or I."