Chapter 29 - Firsts

Draft #190 - Firsts

I am swiftly finding out that one of the best things about hatchling-rearing is the opportunity to witness your hatchling's firsts. 

Vi'mrakka's first steps are a ways off yet - the boy cannot even crawl, now - but now that I have returned, I am able to witness his other firsts. 

***

He sat patiently at the dinner table, soaking in the low rumbling of his family. As of late, ever since he was liberated from the Buffet's torturous imprisonment, he hasn't spoken beyond the bare minimum required of him. 

Settling back into his duties was easy; he knew what was expected of him, and exactly how to do it. The monotonous nature of his paperwork soothed him, and he wondered if there was some sort of paperwork therapy. 

Thruul often suggested therapy, especially in the stillness of the night, when Rulshkka flicked on a soft lamp to chase away the numbing darkness of their room or hummed a soft song to their son to fill the silence. 

He hadn't yet been in volatile crowds, yet, but he was sure that he'd react just the same as he did with the silence; numbness. 

Nohkka loudly explained why she disliked school, attempting to convince her parents that they should just let her live with Kohgrash all day, every day. 

"And 'cause he can teach me how to fight," she concluded proudly, standing on top of the chair to catch the room's attention. 

"Hmmm," Kac hummed thoughtfully, tapping her claws on the table. "Let me think..." 

Nohkka looked so hopeful, that Rulshkka actually chuckled when Kac let out a firm "no" and she collapsed on the table in a fit of dramatics.

Vi'mrakka babbled nonsensically as everyone in the room shared their mirth. He waved his tiny claws in the air, and Rulshkka held him up a little higher for him to see. He slammed his fists on the table, shrieking. 

"Vikka agrees with me!" Nohkka yelled, draped across the table. Rukka hooked her claws on the hatchling's shirt and dragged her back into her chair. 

"Vikka agrees with anything anyone says with a loud enough voice, you little noisemaker," Kac said, trying to shush her unruly hatchling. 

Nohkka pouted, sitting back in her chair and crossing her arms. "Kohgrash wouldn't care if I'm loud."

"Well, he's not here right now, is he?" Rukka said, voice snarky but with a smile on her face. "So, you need to be quiet for us." 

A strange shiver of worry wormed its way into his stomach at the innocent comment. His family's conversation grew a little muted as his world seemed to tunnel in on itself. His mouth went dry and he suddenly had the extremely urgent need to start weeping. He stood up abruptly, managing to knock down his chair. 

It clattered noisily on the ground, and he flinched, holding Vi'mrakka perhaps a bit too tightly. He started whining. 

"Where- where's-" he could barely get the words out. 

whine, click, thump!

"Let go, Rulshkka!" Someone was trying to pry Kohgrash out of his arms, trying to take him away again. "Someone get Kohgrash." 

"NO!" Rulshkka shrieked when they finally wrenched him from his arms. Hands were touching him and he couldn't see. "Stop touching me, stop, stop, stop!" 

"Hey, hey, Vok'Rul, it's okay!" 

Small arms wrapped around his waist and his claws immediately landed on Kohgrash's shoulders, dropping to his knees to pull him into a tight embrace. Kohgrash was trembling.