Chapter 21 - Hatchlings, part 4

Draft #103 

My egg, my beautiful egg. 

***

Rulshkka's father was correct. The Need's thrall was very much like being underwater. 

He immediately struggled against it, dropping to his knees with a low growl. His hands clutched his head. Hot knives pressed into his skull, insisting that he submit. 

"Rul!" he faintly heard Thruul call. Mate, some primal part of him registered. Father of his egg. 

His egg. His hand was in his mouth before he knew it, teeth slicing open his skin. He pressed his bleeding palm on the egg. Warmth blossomed underneath it, and a bright glow erupted underneath his fingers. His mate - Thruul, he shook his head, names were important - joined him a second later, adding his own blood to the egg. A second glow and-

Life. Barely there, but there nonetheless. Rulshkka felt fierce protectiveness flare up in his chest, and it nearly choked him. 

"It got me," he managed to choke out before the Need could overwhelm him. "Home, now." 

He picked up the egg - it was small, so small, but he loved it, loved it, loved it - and cradled it close to his chest. It was perfect. 

Small bumps were splattered across the ends of the egg, giving it a rather lumpy appearance. It fit snugly in the crook of his arm, nearly hidden in the folds of his clothing. It was the most remarkable shade of black he's ever seen. The stars were surely scattered in its depths. Their hatchling would burn hot, a cosmic celebration. 

Rulshkka could barely walk, fighting with the primal urge to find a safe place for his egg to rest and the rational thought that he needed to get home. Thruul pulled him along, and the walk to the door was long and confusing. 

The door opened, and Rulshkka immediately zeroed in on the two unknown Vokkrus flanking it.

Threat, threat, threat! the Need yelled at him. He visibly wavered as he fought against the onslaught of emotion. 

"I, Lord Kohgrash, do so invoke my right as Lord to act as Vokkra until the next Competition, or until Vokkra Rulshkka is..." Kohgrash's voice trailed off as the Need told him he needed to get out of this corridor with no exits. 

Clarity suddenly settled over him, and he blinked. He was in the car, along with Kohgrash and Thruul. They were driving. The egg was still safely in his arms. 

It has helped, drowned out the Need like water on fire. The Spirits smothered his primal urges with ease. It will see you soon. 

"Thank you," Rulshkka said, and the Need took its rightful place over his eyes. 

His mate - Thruul, something reminded him urgently - was a solid presence at his side. The other - Kohgrash! - was quiet and decidedly not Vokkrus, but he was familiar and his, so it did not matter. He was no threat. The rumbling of the vehicle lulled him into a passive state. He simply stared at his egg. 

His mate murmured something, low and soothing, and whatever it meant, Rulshkka agreed. His egg was beautiful. He could look at it for hours and never let his attention waver. 

Something moved in his peripheral vision, and his hand shot out to intercept it, snapping his teeth together warningly. His mate looked startled as he held his wrist in his claws. His hand was outstretched, attempting to touch the egg without his permission. 

Something rational tried to creep up in the back of his muddled mind. He shook his head irritably, releasing his mate's hand with a grumble. 

He did not register the car stopping, but when his mate and the other moved to exit it, he cautiously followed. His senses were on high alert for any threat. Subconsciously, he searched for the perfect place to hide his egg.