Chapter 37 - The Cons of Immortality

Draft #251 - Patience

I would like to believe myself a patient Vokkrus. Unfortunately, my patience has been slipping away from me for quite some time. I blame Kohgrash.

Oh, my poor friend.

***

Rulshkka stared and stared at the slumbering Kohgrash. 

he is fated. he is effectively immortal for his species but will live half as long as ours. 

Kohgrash will not like this.

he must destroy the Outkasts

He will not like this at all.

"Come, Rulshkka," Thruul said with a shake of his arm. "It's the middle of the night." 

"He could wake any moment," was his mumbled reply. 

"And see a looming Rul? That'd scare the fur off him," Thruul tried to reason. "He'll still be here in the morning." 

"They said he'd wake soon," Rulshkka interrupted, letting go of Kohgrash's hand. He stood up. "What if he wakes while we sleep?" 

"I'm certain he'd let us know," Thruul huffed. "You won't be of much help sleep-deprived, my lord." His hands were gentle when they pushed him into their bedroom. 

Vi'mrakka snorted in his sleep and made Rulshkka jump. He let out a quiet sigh, peering into the bassinet. Vi'mrakka slept peacefully. Rulshkka wished he could do the same. 

Despite Thruul's warm arms wrapped around him, Rulshkka could not fall asleep. His ears strained for every sound coming from his office, where Kohgrash lay. 

he must destroy the Outkasts

Spirits, they were fucked. 

The Spirits had promised him that Kohgrash would wake soon, but he supposed that he should have taken their age into consideration. Soon could be years and years. Rulshkka sincerely hoped not. 

He went through the motions. He was certain that if he did not have Thruul, he would have fallen apart. His perfect mate pushed him to eat, made sure that he didn't get too lost in his work, and didn't let him wither away. He tried his damnedest to keep himself afloat, but there were days when it was just hard

Vi'mrakka kept him company in his office most days. He sat next to Kohgrash and spoke to him with non-words and extravagant gestures. 

All in all... it was still the same as it had been for the last year and a half. Rulshkka had hoped that the Spirits could shed some answers to whatever afflicted Kohgrash, and they had, but he supposed he just... expected a little bit more. 

Another month crawled by. Kohgrash shifted in his sleep more, scowling and making noises. Rulshkka drank them up, heart leaping into his throat every single time the human moved. 

Another festival went by. It wasn't the same without Kohgrash.

He signed more ordinances into effect. More human apartments went up. Human and Vokkrus schools became more common. Vi'mrakka celebrated another birthday. Time moved on, and Rulshkka felt stuck.

And then one day, Kohgrash opened his eyes. He let out a loud noise of protest that made Rulshkka get to his feet quicker than he could register what was going on. He practically sprinted over to the lights and flicked them off. 

"Kohgrash!" he exclaimed, grabbing the human as he sat up. He looked disoriented before his eyes finally settled on him. Rulshkka reared back in shock.