Chapter 1 - The Past

Author's Note: I've seen many versions of Luke time-traveling to ROTS, but none of them have been very realistic. They're okay for fix-its, but not if you're trying to be real. So we decided to correct that. :) 

~ Tirana Sorki

Also, we're making this canon-based, and as far as I know, none of the other Luke time travels out there are canon-based (at least with respect to character portrayals). They seem to be based either off legends or the CW, so this is something... new and interesting, I hope! :D

Another gift or IceyGemini on ao3, and updates will, as of now, be every other week on Sunday. :D

To IceyGemini: Have fun reading! :)

Luke Skywalker's life has always been full of chaos. That was one of the few things that didn't change when he joined the Rebel Alliance. Chaotic all the way around, including being the only known Jedi alive and being the son of Anakin Skywalker, now better known as Darth Vader. Crazier now that his father found his way back to the Light – Force knows how – and killed the Emperor right before dying himself. (Not that Luke minds the chaos. It's just part of his life, even if it gets a little old.)

And somehow, nothing was as startling as when he felt a sudden shift in the Force and found himself somewhere... else, warning or no.

The air is thick with smoke, and blaster fire is ringing out all around. The Force is... different. Luke has never felt it so full of Light and life. It must've changed when the Jedi fell.

And...

"Well, I can see things are going splendidly on this front," grumbles a voice that seems... familiar, somehow. Luke raises his head from where he's lying. The man in question is... he looks different, younger, less burdened somehow, but Luke recognizes him instantly. Ben.

"It's no good. We can't locate the tactical droid," replies another voice, one that reminds him disturbingly of Captain Rex from the Rebellion. It's a clone, wearing white and orange armor. "He's staying out of sight."

Why of all places did Luke get dropped off here?

Another presence catches his attention suddenly standing out over the familiar light that is Obi-Wan Kenobi, though it's so much brighter than he remembers. (He's not really Ben, at least not the man Luke knew, but... did he really know Ben at the end of the day? He lied to Luke. Was trying to convince him to kill his own father, the father who died for him, who...)

The presence is vibrant, fiery, like a star. It's breathtakingly blinding, and yet for all of its brightness, it's gentle. Soothing. It feels like home. It feels like...

Luke glances the other way, stilling completely when he sees the figure approaching. He knows who it is, of course.

Anakin Skywalker. His father.

His presence is as brilliant as the twin suns of Tatooine at midday, too blinding to look at, and yet... it's soothing, calming, grounding, like Tatooine's moons.

Seeing him in person is so different than as a ghost, and Luke has literally no idea how the man in front of him could conceivably have become the monster known as Darth Vader. And once again, Luke is struck by the realization that he himself looks very much like his father.

"Anakin, where are you?" groans Ben.

"I'm right here," he replies lightly, moving to avoid a blaster bolt. "What are you doing down there? And where did you pull a perfect look-alike of me from?"

"We – What?" Obi-Wan exclaims, turning around and actually looking at Luke for the first time. "Where did you come from?"

Wait. Right. He hadn't actually thought about the initial greetings that would be needed, or he'd have thought from the start about how difficult and awkward it would be. "Long story," he answers.