Chapter 10 - Duel of Fates

Author's Note: No regrets. *evil cackling*

~ Amina Gila

Shock and betrayal aren't nearly enough to cover how Anakin is feeling right now. Truthfully, he has no idea how he's feeling, but the hurt of this cuts him to the core. This was the one person he trusted unconditionally, and he's a Sith. A traitor. Evil. Everything he once thought Palpatine, of all people, could never be.

He doesn't understand it, and his pain quickly morphs to rage – it's easier to hold onto. He has been this entire time, he realizes. How did the Council see this when Anakin didn't? How could he have been so foolish? How... how? None of this makes sense, but the crushing betrayal stands out over everything else.

And it makes him angry. He doesn't give trust easily, but when he does, he'll do anything for them, and he expects the same in return – not the same, but he expects their loyalty.

Palpatine is a Sith, the very thing Anakin has been said to destroy for years, and he became a Jedi years ago. Part of him wants to do it right now, right here, but despite the pain of the betrayal and the rage tearing him apart, he recognizes that this is his friend, and it's still the Chancellor and that would be treason, and –

Luke's lightsaber hisses to life suddenly, his rage flaring into the Force, and he lunges towards the Sith. Even through his tumultuous emotions, Anakin is about to realize this is the stupidest thing he could have done. "No, wait!" he calls, but it's too late.

Palpatine ducks aside as Luke's lightsaber slashes through where he was a moment before. Anakin thought that would be enough to make his son stop, but he doesn't. He keeps going – he's clearly determined to end this now. Luke doesn't understand the concept of treason, Anakin remembers with a jolt. He's not at fault for this.

It's when Palpatine withdraws his own lightsaber, the red blade hissing to life that Anakin realizes he has no choice. He must protect Luke at any cost. He moves forwards, lightsaber in hand to stand next to his son.

"There is no need for it to come to this," Palpatine admonishes. Once, it would've made him feel guilty – and maybe it still does, a little bit, but Anakin reminds himself again with a certainty that this man betrayed him. He's a Sith. He's – he's evil.

"You knew it would be," Anakin replies bitterly as they slowly circle each other, lightsabers raised. "From the moment I became a Jedi, you knew. What did you want with me?"

"You have always been different, Anakin. You were meant for more."

"You never cared," he accuses, and it feels like that knowledge is crushing him. It's strangling him, ripping him apart and leaving nothing behind. "Sith do not care. They do not..."

"I think, perhaps, I am the only person who cared for you." His gaze turns to Luke. "Except your son."

"You lie," Luke snarls. "My father has a family."

"Where?" he asks. "Among the Jedi? His padawan abandoned him, and his wife will die. Your mother will die, Luke, unless you are able to save her."

Anakin closes his eyes, breathing in and out, struggling to find calm. "No," he grits out. "No, she will not, she can't!"

"You feel it, don't you?" he asks. He sounds sympathetic, but Anakin can't trust that anymore. He never will again. "Your only hopes of saving her is through the Dark Side, and I cannot do this alone."

"Father, he's distracting you," Luke warns, "And he's lying. He only cares about turning you."

Suddenly, everything falls into place. "You knew, didn't you." It's not a question – Anakin already knows the answer to it, and it leaves him feeling strangely numb. Luke knew about it all this time, and he never told him. Did he tell anyone? Does the Council know?