Chapter 6 - To Meet a Sith Lord

Luke is trying to remind himself that Yoda must have meant something good when told Anakin that, or maybe Anakin hadn't told him everything that happened, because he cannot believe the Jedi Master would have such advice. Rejoice over her death?! Is he serious?! There must be something cryptic they both missed entirely because Luke cannot believe the Jedi Master changed so much on Dagobah.

He knew being a Jedi would not be a simple task, but this is something completely different from what he expected. He thought they were compassionate. He knew they were warriors – which they are, but that's not what he's seeing. He understands the dedication, and he's willing to give himself to that, but he does not see the same in his father.

His visions of Han and Leia were entirely different. He hadn't seen them die. He had seen them in pain, seen that they needed help. It had been of an external force, and had he not gone to save them, he would likely never have able to find his father – even if he did lose his hand. It was a small price to pay, all things considered... well. Not small, but he thinks it was worth it. Palpatine is dead anyway. Looking back, he can easily understand that he should have trusted in his friends' ability to care for themselves, even if it was meant to happen.

It's different for Padme. This isn't an external cause. It's not something that can be stopped or protected, not truly. It's a vision of the future that will happen unless Anakin is able to stop it. With a jolt, Luke finds himself wondering if that's how his father Fell before, but he brushes that off.

He knows he's not thinking clearly either, but he doesn't know what to do. Master Yoda is the only person he may be willing to trust enough to for help, other than Rex, but now this has proven that he can't. He can't trust any of the Jedi like he hoped to. He can understand the warning that fear leads to the Dark Side – it does, really, but how in the galaxy can someone be expected to rejoice in a friend's passing? Not only a wife and possibly a child. Even a friend. It's just...

He doesn't understand it, and it angers him more than anything else. He loathes how no reminders of how he's not here to judge the Jedi for their failure doesn't help him this time. If he had listened to Yoda, if he had tried to kill Vader, the Emperor would have won. The Jedi aren't always right, clearly, which means he needs to find his own path.

What he doesn't know is how to go about that. It's too bad he can't talk to Ahsoka.

Luke is still turning the situation over in his mind when they talk to Obi-Wan. "The Senate is expected to vote more executive powers to the Chancellor today," Obi-Wan states.

"That can only mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad?" It's yet another reminder of how Anakin seems to be friends with Palpatine, which makes no sense. "It'll make it easier for us to end this war."

"Be careful of your friend Palpatine."

"Be careful of what?"

Luke winces. He really has no idea? Not even after what Luke had told him about the Empire? Even if Obi-Wan hasn't figured it out, he's being rightfully cautious. Luke can understand that, not wanting to believe someone is evil – he was the same with Vader – but this is different. There is no saving the Emperor. He's too far gone.

"He has requested your presence." Luke does his best not to react. It's not easy. Palpatine had killed Anakin, and Luke doesn't want his father anywhere near him. Not again.

"What for?"

"He would not say."

"He didn't inform the Council? That's unusual, isn't it?"

"All of this is unusual. And it's making me feel uneasy." Obi-Wan glances between the Skywalkers, frowning. "He also wishes to have a word with Luke."

Oh. Oh, no. Why would he want that unless he suspected something? No. He could be curious, nothing more – why is he lying to himself? Palpatine knows Luke time traveled; he'd want whatever information he can get his hands on. The last time Luke had encountered the Emperor with no one but his father, it hadn't worked out so well.